PDA

View Full Version : A "Good Service" Report

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-07-2006, 8:39 AM
Well, I needed to get my Bandsaw blade sharpened on Big Blue.

These things cost $100 a pop, so if I can get it sharpened, hey I'm ahead.

I contacted Hitachi (the maker of Big Blue, a B601 saw) and they suggested Tenryu, a fairly famous blade maker here in Japan.

I went to their website, and they had an "English" contact number, and e-mail address.

I contacted Mr. Kazuya Ehara, who contacted me fairly soon (he was out of the country on a business trip). He was helpful and quickly pointed me to their Tokyo offices, and a Mr. Hashimoto. Before I could send an e-mail to Mr. Hashimoto, the guy calls me on the phone, and introduces himself, and he speaks English!! :D

He tells me that the closest sharpening shop is down in Yokahama, a fair bit from here, but that is what FedEx is for!

He tells me to call Mr. Kobayashi, the owner of the sharpening shop and talk to him.

Now my lovely wife calls Mr. Kobayashi, as he does not speak English, and for a first impression, I would rather have her do the Japanese thing ;).

Not only was the guy VERY helpful, but he said he was waiting for my call, as Mr. Hashimoto had called ahead and told them we would be calling.

I have one blade that is just dull, I have another that I kind of.....well, I busted a few teeth off of it..... :eek:

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/bandsaw/busted.jpg

........Counts as a major "Whoops" in my books :o

Mr. Kobayashi said he would look at it and see if it can be fixed, he says they fix them all the time, so as long as it cost less than the price of a new one.......... :)

They can also do my planer knives and, the most important, he said my Dado set, no problem at all!! Until now the two places I've found have looked a the Dado set and said "...ah....what is it...?"

I'll be boxing up the dull and busted bandsaw blades and sending them tomorrow, I sure hope this works out, it would be nice to not have to worry about getting things sharpened!

Up to now, I'm sure impressed with the Tenryu guys, they are top drawer in my books. Just to be clear, the blades are not Tenryu blades, I've never bought anything from them, and the sharpening service is not there shop, just one they recommend.

Not that is what I call service!!

Just wanted to share a "Good" report!!

Cheers!

Dick Parr
03-07-2006, 8:44 AM
Glad to hear you are getting treated right. Hope they are as good as everything seems Stu.

Good luck.

Jim Hager
03-07-2006, 9:33 AM
It is always a good thing when you find customer service where ever you go. I'm glad you have found someone who can fill your sharpening needs. Sharpening here is a problem too. I have to send my stuff by UPS out of state to get good service. I use Ballew saw and tool in Springfield Missouri. Probably a little out of your range but it works for me. When I was still just hobbying I would buy new blades rather than send them out. Seemed like less trouble but I kept all my old sawblades and sent the whole mess out to springfield not too long ago. I won't have to have any 10" sawblades sharpened for a long time, if you know what I mean.:o

Now on your bandsaw blades in your location I would say that you are very lucky to find a source for your sharpening.

Julio Navarro
03-07-2006, 10:50 AM
That responce is very impressive seeing as how it is a shop they recommend and not their own company. Reputation seems to be a very important concept there, huh? Judging by that I predict impeccable service and results.

I am sure you will keep us informed!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-17-2006, 1:13 AM
OK, an update.

I sent the blades out on Tuesday, and got them back today, Friday. The guy could not save the busted up blade, oh well, but they sharpened up the other blade, it looks great.

They sent is COD, cost me about $15 including the shipping, can't beat that with a stick.

I'll be sending all of my saw blades to these guys, for sure!

Cheers!