PDA

View Full Version : Been Busy

Dick Parr
03-07-2006, 8:38 AM
I finally got some time on the lathe the last few days and over did it each day, but it was fun.

There is a sycamore, Cherry (this completes the 4th bowl out of the same blank), two walnut, maple crotch and what they call a tree from heaven here in TN, but up north we called it sumac. I cut down the goblet/sumac tree (4 total) on Sunday to help out a neighbor and turned this piece yesterday. It is cracking as we speak. There was no way to get around the pith.:(

The small walnut bowl roughed blank I got from Joe Breid when he came to visit. I made a drill jig to add a little to turnings and you can see the cherry plugs in this little bowl.

Thanks Joe for the blank and thanks for looking.

Keith Burns
03-07-2006, 8:49 AM
All I can say Dick is its about time you turned some more:D And turn you did:) They all look great from where I sit, nice forms:) :)

Raymond Overman
03-07-2006, 9:07 AM
Nice looking bowls and goblet Dick. I especially like that black walnut.

Michael Stafford
03-07-2006, 9:14 AM
Dick, when you get busy, you get busy!!! You have to be one of the most productive turners out there! Way to go! Go enjoy the hot tub with Jack....;)

John Miliunas
03-07-2006, 9:54 AM
Wow, Dick!!! Kickin' butt and taking no prisoners! :D Nice job on all of them and I particularly like your finishing...Really looks elegant! :) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
03-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Wow Dick, you have been knocking them out. I like all of them and especially the oblong bowl.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Wow Dick. You've been kicking rear end and taking names. Nice work. I like the walnut also and the goblet.

Bill Stevener
03-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Great looking turnings Dick, the finish on all of them presents a very nice showing as well.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Glenn Clabo
03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Hey everyone...
What's with this... Oh Dick you're kicking butt...taking names...being so productive stuff? :rolleyes: This is his penance for slipping over to the flat side recently ya know. ;)

Nice work Dick...you've come back with style.

John Hart
03-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Is that Cherry all the way in the back? Well, regardless of what is....I like it!! I like them all, but I like that one best. Nice to see the Vortex suck you back!!

Jim Ketron
03-07-2006, 3:06 PM
Nice turnings Dick!
You have been a busy man!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-07-2006, 7:28 PM
You HAVE BEEN busy, you little bugger!

All keepers! Don't see a throwback in the bunch!

Bruce

Mike Ramsey
03-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Yes I would say you've been busy Good looking collection there Dick!

Hank Walczak
03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Dick - Impressive collection. Have a question. On your goblet, with that long a stem, did you need to use a steady rest to keep it from snapping? Again nice work. BTW, looking forward to getting my Nova this weekend!!

Hank

Dick Parr
03-08-2006, 6:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, these all were fun to turn.

Hank, yes I did use a steady rest once I hollowed out the cup. I also used a big cone in my live center to help center the turning.

Thanks again everyone.:)

Joe Breid
03-08-2006, 9:09 PM
DIck,

Wow, you sure have been busy since I stopped by. You didn't waste any time making a great looking bowl out of the black walnut. Looks like you got your drilling jig built and working great.

I just got back home late last night and the turning blanks you gave me are still packed in my luggage. I was just able to squeeze them all in.

Thanks again for the visit,
Joe