PDA

View Full Version : Hook angle for SCM saw blade

Joel Goodman
03-07-2006, 1:21 AM
I found a new 10" 80 tooth blade in my collection of misc stuff -- a Freud LU85R010 -- "ultimate cutoff blade" . It is an ATB with a 10 degree hook angle. I am trying to determine whether this is a good choice for a sliding miter saw. On the Freud website the blades for the SCMs have a 5 degree hook angle. Can anyone tell me the effect of the hook angle difference? What is the downside of a 10 degree hook angle on a SCM?

Joel

Norman Hitt
03-07-2006, 2:25 AM
The Greater the Positive Hook angle, the more tendency they have to grab the wood and Run At You, which can be a dangerous situation.

tod evans
03-07-2006, 7:10 AM
The Greater the Positive Hook angle, the more tendency they have to grab the wood and Run At You, which can be a dangerous situation.

this is correct based on my use. i like using nonferrous metal blades on my chopsaw, i`ve found the cut to be very good and blade life to be very good also. most nonferrous blades are a negitive rake and require a little elbow grease to get through hardwood but for me the finish cut and blade life is worth the extra effort.....02 tod

Charles McCracken
03-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Actually, this is the result on a RAS. If you are using the SCMS as designed the more aggressive hook will result in more force trying to lift the material off the saw. Many people use the LU85 successfully on this type of saw but I would advise that you consult the saw manufacturer for a specific recommendation of hook angle.

Brian Jarnell
03-07-2006, 2:39 PM
I note my 807 came with a negative rake blade.
I have found it much better than previous positve rake blade,would not like to go back.