PDA

View Full Version : "Typical" Cabinet Dimensions

Jay Albrandt
03-07-2006, 12:01 AM
My wife wants me to build some new kitchen cabinets. We were looking at the box stores for ideas, but we had difficulty getting a feel for the drawer sizes and how we would use them without wasted space.

I plan on 2" face frames. What are "typical" measurements for drawer heights such as spice drawers, silverware drawers, drawers for pots and pans etc., and what have you all done or seen that works well. I am tall so the base cabinets will likely be taller than the standard 34-1/2".

Thanks for your input.

Jay

brent lenthall
03-07-2006, 7:26 AM
Jay,

I build custom kitchens and often tell clients there is no "standard" when designing a one of a kind kitchen. Take measurements of you items and build to fit. You can get some ballpark ideas by looking at websites like Revashelf for things like pullouts, spiceracks, etc.

Regarding countertop height. If you build taller than 36" (with tops) you may have problems if you ever try to sell the house. I've built vanities that are taller than 36" (his, her's was standard), but never a kitchen. A taller base cabinet pushes everying up and makes upper shelves too high for most people.

brent

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 8:54 AM
I use 4-5-6-8 drawer side material.
Most first drawers I use 4" sides.