PDA

View Full Version : Mustard, green or white?

Jeff Horton
03-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Jointers

I found a Jet 8" for $1075 with a $100 rebate and free shipping. So, $975 delivered.

I found a Powermatic 8" jointer for just about $1100. I can drive and get it. $50-$60 in gas and a good part of a day shot. So say $1175 total.

Grizzly's is $790 delivered and they are not in stock last I heard.

I know Powermatic makes good machines. I am familiar with JET but I have never seen one. I know Grizzly, I have a couple of their machines.

So is the big mustard worth another $150 over the Jet?
Are either of them worth 300+ over the Grizzly??

After doing the numbers I am leaning toward Grizzly.

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Jeff,

The Powermatic machine is going to provide you with better components overall. I've researched this and talked with ww dealer or two and got the same comment. They're basically the same machine. Different specs, better motor, pullies, belt and such as that. IMHO? The PM is going to be your better choice and a few extra dollars spent now won't result in the later on "I should-uh's"!!! DAMHIKT!!!!:D

So now you have my 2˘ on this subject. My PM 8" jointer is waiting for me to pick it up from the dealer now. :cool:

Mark Carlson
03-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Another vote for the Powermatic.

Clint Malone
03-07-2006, 2:14 AM
I have a PM 15" planer and a Grizzly G0586 jointer and they seem to be of the same quality to me. They both do their job just fine and I haven't had any problems with either of them. I think you will be happy with whatever choice you make.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-07-2006, 3:16 AM
All I can say is that I'm jealous fo the choices you have!!!

I think that if you keep the machine for 10 years, then the diff in price will be $0.29 a week for the Mayo and $0.58 a week for the Mustard :D

If you keep the jointer for more than ten years....... Well......

Cheers!

Tyler Howell
03-07-2006, 8:38 AM
PM man,

I wish I would follow my advice last big Iron... PM!!!:cool:

Jim Hager
03-07-2006, 9:43 AM
If it is in the budget definately use mustard. Mayo is also a good choice but I can't think of anything green other than pickle relish that I like on my hotdog. Or are we talking about hot dogs or jointers???????/

You will probably never miss the money but you would surely appreciate the best machine each time you switch it on. Obviously it is a personal choice, my choice would be mustard of the ones you mention. I'm a grey guy myself and you haven't mentioned the DJ-20 but it would be a good choice too.

I have a DJ-15, they don't make them anymore but if I had it to do over again I would spend the extra for the 8"er instead of the 6"er.

JayStPeter
03-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd go green myself (and do have a green jointer). There's not much to a jointer IMO. I've rebuilt a 6" jointer in the past and I can tell you that a Jet/PM switch (I actually used a PM66 switch in my rebuild), a US motor, and a set of pulleys can be had for less than the $300 price difference. Otherwise, they are basically the same machines. Actually, the Grizzly is the next generation beyond the older design Jet/PM (some fence improvements). If you're like me, you'll just start looking at larger jointers once you get an 8" anyway.
Personally, if I was going to spend the extra cash for either the Jet/PM, I'd go for the Grizzly DJ-20 clone (or a true DJ-20). At least you're getting some design improvement for your cash.
The Jet and PM are both Geetech castings. You might also check out Wilke. Their Bridgewood machine seems to have better specs as far as motor and switch and uses the same casting as the Jet/PM. Shipping might make it a wash though.
BTW, I don't make this argument for all machines, just jointers, lower end 15-20" planers, and a few other specific models. Same machines made in the same factories with different paint colors and minor part differences (hand cranks/levers, motors, switches).

Jay

Tom Jones III
03-07-2006, 11:28 AM
You'll never regret choosing PM. I've got a well used PM jointer and it just plain works. It is nothing fancy but it always works and I don't have to think about how I am going to get around deficiencies to get a job done. I don't even bother checking the setup very often because it stays setup correctly, year after year after year. I still check it every once in a while, but it has not needed adjustment since I bought it.

Barry Beech
03-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I bought my 60b last year. The only regret that I have with it is I wish that I now had the powermatic 8. That thing is a beast.

The 60b gives very good cuts. The reason I went with it was the 2hp motor and it had the most cuts per inch at the time.

Jeff Horton
03-07-2006, 2:01 PM
Some good points but not much help. :) I have a short bed 6" jointer that I just took apart and cleaned recently and there isn't much to a jointer. I was a Mechanical Designer in a previous life, so I have not problem understanding how they work and are built.

I am undecided still but with something as simple as a jointer I do lean 'slightly' towards the Grizzly. I know Powermatic has an excellent reputation and would buy one sight unseen and not worry. Just in the this case, I am just not sure I am getting anymore for the money. Jointer knifes and bearings are about all that you should ever have to replace and those area easy to find. Fact is a jointer is a very simple machine. There just isn't much to go wrong with them. T

DJ-20 is not on my list because of the nearly double price! I am sure it is a great machine and the parrallelagram table is nice. But it bet it doesn't cut the wood any better than a dovetailed jointer. Unless it does a lot better job on the wood (after all buying to use, not to gloat about it;)) I would rather have the at extra money to put toward something else. The Grizzly dj-20 clone is a maybe, but I am not sure. Don't like to buy the first one out, need time to work out any bugs it might have..

Thanks for the input. I am in no rush so I am still shopping.

Bruce Page
03-07-2006, 2:41 PM
Jeff, after reading the replies it sounds like the general consensus is the PM. I have 2 PM machines, (jointer & planner) and agree with the consensus. If you’re looking for the cheapest, go with the Griz, if you’re looking for the best (of the three) go with the PM.

Jeff Horton
03-07-2006, 4:12 PM
If you’re looking for the cheapest, go with the Griz, if you’re looking for the best (of the three) go with the PM.
This brings up my basic question and I have probably not asked the very well. And before I say this, I am not anti-Powermatic or Jet or or Pro-Grizzly.

I look for a tool that produces the best results for my hard earned money. So what that said what makes the Powermatic worth $400 +/- more than the Grizzly? Or any other machine for that matter.

Does it do a better job?
Does it cut smoother?
Are the boards flatter when they come off it?
Is it easier to use, the adjustments easier of better?
Better fence?
Or is it just they have a better reputation?

I don't mind spending the $400 more for the Powermatic as long as I get something for it. I just want to know what it does better that makes it worth more? From what I have read/gathered all jointers work pretty much the same and produce the same results.

If they all produce the same results and are basically about the same to operate, I would rather buy the cheaper one and have the $400 bucks to spend on wood to build things with.

And I don't want to seem like I am trying to start anything. I am just looking for some reasons other than brand loyalty.

Matt Tawes
03-07-2006, 4:44 PM
I used to buy into that brand loyalty but after researching and comparing things to death I determine what machine has the best features (in the case of jointer the features seldom differ on the wedgebeds) and the best price and that's what matters. That said I bought a Griz G0856 when shopping after comparing the top brands as nothing stood out making the higher priced ones worth the higher price as they all functioned the same and had similar length beds same HP. Griz won out for me based on $$$ and the fact that it was 4 knife head vs. everyone elses 3 knife.
All the top brands are made very well and yes I've had PM & Jet in the past to compare (I stilll have a Jet 14" BS).
The delivery companies I've dealt with (Triglia, Overnite, Fedx) All tell me they're shipping more machinery including big $$ ones from Griz (atleast here on the east coast) to small shops and cabinet shops. Sure 90% of the time Griz is cheaper but I cant see shops that use their equipment harder than most buying stuff they will have to work on or replace. Call Grizzly and ask for a referal (or numerous ones) nearby and see how many you get that use their tools for a living.

I'm not pushing Grizzly over other brands really as I've got Delta, Jet equipment and only own one Grizzly but for my $$$ when I upgrade others it's still going to be based on $$ an features as all the brands reputations for that matter are pretty equal anymore.

Tom Jones III
03-07-2006, 4:53 PM
Does it do a better job?
Does it cut smoother?
Are the boards flatter when they come off it?
Is it easier to use, the adjustments easier of better?
Better fence?
Or is it just they have a better reputation?

You missed a question that I value very highly:
* How often will I have to calibrate the machine. I used to have a TS that I had to set the front and back of the fence every time I moved it. I have seen cheaper jointers where every time you tilted the fence, you had to recalibrate it to get it square again. Note, I have never seen a grizzly jointer so don't assume that I'm making any implications.

Howard Norman
03-07-2006, 5:31 PM
I have used a 6" Craftsman jointer for more years than I care to remember. I recently bought a Grizzly 0490, that is the DJ-20 clone. There were some issues with the first shipment, mine included, with the struts for the motor support getting damaged in shipment. Grizzly has replaced my stand and some other stands around the country. It is a good jointer. Is the DJ-20 twice as good? I don't think so. In fact the 0490 has a better placed on/off switch location than the DJ-20. I would not hesitate in recommending the Grizzly 0490 to anyone looking for a 8" jointer.

Howard

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2006, 7:14 PM
The real issue is, do you spend the extra money and get longevity out of a machine or purchase cheap and wish later own that you'd bought what you really wanted to buy in the first place. :confused: :D

Jeff Horton
03-07-2006, 7:21 PM
Matt, your thinking exactly as I am.

Tom, good question! Thats what I want to know. What makes ____ (insert brand) worth more than the others?

Denis, good question too. But I have not heard any problems with life of any brand honestly. Well maybe the HF ones but I am not looking at those.

CPeter James
03-07-2006, 9:44 PM
Dennis, is that the new PM PJ822 parallelogram jointer that you are getting? If so , please see my other post on that subject.

CPeter

Scott Vigder
03-07-2006, 10:13 PM
to buy a 8" jointer. I settled on and received delivery last week of the Grizz G0490 with the parallelagram beds. I also own a Delta X5 36-L31X-BC50 (new last Nov), a Delta 56-750 Dust Collector, and the DeWalt 735 planer.

The fit and finish of the Grizz rivals that on the X5, both mirrior smooth. So far my dealings with Grizz have been top-notch, and of course it's way too soon to tell if the machine is a winner. But the unit, with liftgate service, was delivered for $859. The best price on a DJ-20, my dream machine, was $1559 plus unspecified shipping. If I took a Delta and Grizz and painted them both purple, you'd be hard pressed to identify which was which. The best price for a similar PM was $1664.

For my shop, this was the final piece of the puzzle. I have a General Internation mortiser, an old Craftsman 12" Band Saw (bought at auction), and older Craftsman Radial Arm saw, and an inexpensive Craftsman drill press.