PDA

View Full Version : What I did in the shop

Paul Barnard
08-05-2003, 12:59 PM
While Alex was doing the dovetail thing I frinally got around to finishing my Shepherd panel plane. I have had it in the together but not working state for quite some time, just waiting for that all important sharpening and tweeking. Well here it is with a nice full width Cherry shaving. The mouth finished up at about 3 thou, but i might go for a little more polishing on it yet. The mass of the plane makes for a wonderful tool.

Dave Anderson NH
08-05-2003, 1:45 PM
Is it the 13 1/2" or the big one? I'm beginning to think that you are trying to become the first person around to build all of Dog and Ben's kits. They might have a challenge in trying to produce new styles faster than you can buy and make them.

Paul Barnard
08-05-2003, 1:57 PM
Is it the 13 1/2" or the big one? I'm beginning to think that you are trying to become the first person around to build all of Dog and Ben's kits. They might have a challenge in trying to produce new styles faster than you can buy and make them.
It's the 13 1/2 and a very early one at that. The infills were a set from the first run. Doug dropped them down to me when he came to visit Garrett at Rosewood almost a year and a half ago. I have a rule about finishing one tool before starting another. (I have the same rule for woodworking projects but Chrissy's dolls house has broken that one a little.) I get a new tool for my birthday and one for Christmas. For my birthday this year I got a Shoulder kit and for Christmas I'm hoping for a Jointer. Given the chance I would have at least one of each of Ben and Doug's tools, I think they are tremedous value, but I think they can churn them out far quicker than I can afford them. I will probably build a chariot at the weekend get together. To date I've completed 4 Shepherds, the shoulder will be number 5 with I hope 6 and 7 to follow this year. I've also worked on a couple of others but not done the full job.

Doug Evans
08-05-2003, 7:36 PM
Have you chosen your speaking topic for October yet? Anyone care to help him?

We were taking shavings in the shop today ourselves - first ones of the smoother in performance mode.

Dave - you will be glad of the smoother choice on this go... the wood in this lot has gorgeous grain.

Regards,

Doug

Paul Barnard
08-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Have you chosen your speaking topic for October yet? Anyone care to help him?

We were taking shavings in the shop today ourselves - first ones of the smoother in performance mode.

Dave - you will be glad of the smoother choice on this go... the wood in this lot has gorgeous grain.

Regards,

Doug
That is pretty wood!
No I haven't finalised what I'm going to talk about. I could talk about tuning planes but I figured most attendees will be pretty well up on that already. Another idea I'm playing with is 'Two tools and a tail' I figure I can demo making a marking gauge, a dovetail layout square and demo hand cutting a dovetail corner using them in an hour. Maybe Dave can tell us how to scale one of his splendid bowsaws to fret saw size (I've made one but it is a 'user' not up to the sandard of Dave's). Baring a dovetail saw we would be on for hand cut dovetails using hand made tools. If you can find a saw man a hand made dovetail saw is also a posibilty, I can file up and set a dovetail saw reasonably well but haven't tried one from scratch before.
I'm certainly up for any other suggestions. I figure with the people coming we have a very skilled group, should be a great oportunity to discuss methods and for us all to explore a few alternatives.

Paul Barnard
08-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Baring a dovetail saw we would be on for hand cut dovetails using hand made tools.
I'm being a little slow tonight we could of course use one of Dave's bowsaws to cut the dovetails. Chisels from files anyone?

Dave Anderson NH
08-06-2003, 9:17 AM
I will of course be bringing both the full sized bowsaw(12" blade) and the fretsaw size with the 6" coping saw blade. I already have plans for the 12" and will draw up a set for the 6" and bring it with a bunch of copies when I come up in October. Believe it or not, the 6" size is easier to make, not having any file and drill and tap work for the blade holders. I'll also bring some of my marking gages, marking knives, and the plane adjusting hammers.

I think Paul is right, we will have a group with an awesome set of toolmaking skills. It would be a terrible shame not to take advantage the opportunity to exchange ideas, plans, and lore. I fully expect to completely fill my digital camera memory cards with photos of both the group of reprobates and all of the tool ideas and tools present.

Back a few months ago Doug or Ben made the suggestion that we should have a meet concurrent with one of the bigger and more geographically central old tool shows or auctions. This still seems to be to be a great idea. Maybe we could start thinking about venues and dates for sometime in the Summer or Autumn of 2004. Ideas anyone???

Doug Evans
08-06-2003, 4:36 PM
I would think one of the major auction venues would be good. You have dealers which means the opportunity to pick up something new. Typically, there are other lectures going on, so the agenda is naturally a bigger one. We get exposure to new folks with different perpsectives. The accomodations are probably at a lower rate.

Other opportunities would be one of the LFOD auctions... that summer Quaker show that you do... some St. Roy event...

At some point here, we would like to get an expidition to Scotland going, as well.

I am looking forward to October - I will get another post up tonight.

Regards,

Doug