PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #4 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-06-2006, 10:03 PM
There have been better days.:mad: Just like when Karl had issues with his plumbing sub, I finally had one as well, although it a whole different kind of dilemma. There are two gothic arched windows in the model and a long time associate had agreed to make them for me. He was going to start them yesterday (just in time - which is okay because I trust him) but he instead chose to have a heart attack and is now in the hospital for an expected two week duration. Spent a good portion of the day trying to find someone else to make them for me and have struck out. Guess I'm going into the window business now. Agghhhhh! This means trouble for my deadline.

Anyway when we last left off (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32384)I had just completed the roof on the main portion of the church. So the plan today was to start erecting the tower upon which the steeple will sit.
First I had to do a wee bit of neandering as I cut two crossbraced struts for the top rear face of the tower. Had to get them in early since I'd never have decent access later. Decided to cheat and not cut the joinery for the strut to post connection as originally intended. It's a window thing.
And here's a close-up of those two struts in place.
And here's where I am right now as I write this.

Tomorrow I'll cut and set the five remaining pairs of crossbraced struts; and then move onto the steeple.

Jerry Clark
03-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey Andy, I am really enjoying this, :D what kind of wood are you using-? I see the floor looks like oak ply-! :rolleyes:

Karl Laustrup
03-07-2006, 5:26 AM
That's a bummer with the window sub. Hope he's doing OK.

Your steeple sub must be a monkey, being able to hustle up and down with out the aid of scaffolding or crane. ;) :D

One large scoop Vanilla Fudge Swirl should help with the windows.

Karl

Fred LeBail
03-07-2006, 7:26 AM
I am watching your progress on this one because of the obivious connection to my area. The progress is going very well, too bad about your window guy. As with most things,timing is everything.Or should I say Bad timing is everything.

Andy ,will you be delivering the product to "The 'chi" (Miramichi) or will it be shipped?

Andy Hoyt
03-07-2006, 7:39 AM
Jerry - Plain old #2 eastern white pine. But I saw around all the knots.

Karl - It's gonna take more than just one scoop - of anything.

Fred - Nope. Neither. Troy and Carla are coming here to pick it up. They'll then take it to Lawrence, MA where it goes on display as part of an exhibit for the New Brunswick Wood Products Group. I'm told that's for a year and then it goes home to The Chi.