PDA

View Full Version : I know there have been threads on slow speed grinders

Gary Herrmann
03-06-2006, 9:05 PM
And the WoodCraft is very popular. However, a friend of mine has the Delta 23-725. He pointed me toward a site where its available for about 150 or 160. I know I'd have to buy at least one white aluminum wheel. This guy had and returned a WC grinder because of various problems.

The question I have is: Is it worth the extra $50 for this 8" slow speed grinder? 8 amps and it weighs 100 lbs (won't that be fun to carry :rolleyes: ). Based on other tools, I've bought, this made me wonder if the extra weight would make a difference in grinders.

Since I'd bolt it down, the weight might not matter, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

If I can ever close my current project and get off the road, I may actually get some shop time again...

Ernie Nyvall
03-07-2006, 9:32 AM
Gary, looking at the two grinders, I'm not sure what makes up such a weight difference.

There are some possibilities.
1. Some grinder bases I've seen are a heavy plastic however I don't know that that is the case with the woodcraft.
2. The copper windings on a motor make a difference in the weight.
3. The overall thickness of the cast body of the grinder.

I'd say that the Delta would be worth the extra $50 for any one or the combination of the three reasons above. Yea, you can bolt the woodcraft down, but then I have a 300 lb., 3/4 hp, 3/4" arbor lathe that I can bolt down and attach a 100lb out of balance bowl blank on the outboard and start it at 500 rpms:eek: NOT, but you get the point... it wouldn't last very long.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents... if it's worth that much.

Ernie

Bob Noles
03-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Gary,

I have the WC slow speed grinder and have been very satisfied with it. I don't see how he extra weight or extra cost is going to be of benefit in sharpening lathe tools. If you want to put more money in a grinder, I'd just go to the next real step and get the Tormek.

Steve Hayes
03-07-2006, 11:54 AM
I have the Woodcraft slow speed and it performs fantastic. No need to buy different wheels either. My Wolverine jig works flawlessly with it.

Fred Ray
03-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Gary:
I've got the woodcraft in my own shop and the Delta in our local woodworker's shop where I teach turning. No way would I spend the extra $$ for the Delta. Firstly, the WC comes with the White wheels at $75 when on sale. The Delta comes with standard harder gray wheels. The only real difference besides weight alone is starting time. The Delta reaches full spee in less than a second, the WC takes about 2 seconds to reach full speed. Unless that one second is worth a lot of money to you and you're willing to speend additional $$ for the white wheels, buy the WC and another turning tool to sharpen with your $150.

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I have the Woodcraft slow speed and it performs fantastic. No need to buy different wheels either. My Wolverine jig works flawlessly with it.

Exactly.....Same here.!!!!
Replacement white, pink, or blue wheels are around $32 each.....so consider that as well.

Gary Herrmann
03-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys. No Fred, the additional second is not worth the $. Now if I can just catch it on sale...