PDA

View Full Version : Behlens Wood Turners Polish....

Corey Hallagan
03-06-2006, 9:01 PM
Have any of you used Behlens Wood Turnishers Polish? I am considering buying some for my pens and other turnings. What kind of a shine does it leave? Is it like Shellwax and get's removed from daily use or is it a long lasting finish? Just wondering what you guys think of it.
I spent some time messing with lacquer this weekend and the fumes are just to much, after awhile I felt like listening to some Jimi Hendrix :eek:
Thanks,
Corey

John Hart
03-06-2006, 9:10 PM
Just used it for the first time this past weekend Corey. I was pretty impressed. It builds a nice gloss finish. Heavy methanol smell though....Reminds me of work!!:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
03-06-2006, 9:13 PM
Thanks John! Really, a methanol smell as in minty or mediciney smell? No smells that make you dizzy though or attacks the lungs?
Thanks,
Corey

John Hart
03-06-2006, 9:16 PM
Sorta like alcohol....imagine some intense windshield washer fluid. Not bad....and it'll make you want to listen to Fleetwood Mac.:D

Corey Hallagan
03-06-2006, 9:23 PM
Great, thanks John, I like Fleetwood Mac :)

Corey

Keith Burns
03-06-2006, 9:49 PM
Corey, I've used it for years on bowls and it works well. Nice shine. I now use it, let it set for a day and use the 3 beall buff on it. Works great. I've not used it on pens.

Corey Hallagan
03-06-2006, 9:50 PM
Thanks guys, I just ordered a bottle from Woodcraft. Expensive, but sounds like a easy nice finish.

Corey

Bill Stevener
03-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Hay, whata guys have for "Pink Floyd"?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Corey Hallagan
03-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Pink Floyds - Dark Side of the Moon goes nicely with Lacquer Bill :)

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Iron Butterfly and Jefferson Airplane also goes good with Lacquer.:eek: :eek: :D

Corey Hallagan
03-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Good picks Bernie!! GO ASKK ALICE, When She's Been Using Lacquerrrrrrrrr

:)

corey

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm kind of a Cream or Beatles......Sergant Pepper's guy..........what do you recommend?

Corey Hallagan
03-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Ken, you can't buy none of that stuff at wood workers stores!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
03-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I usually crank up Zappa or Tull when sampling the exotics.:eek:

John Hart
03-07-2006, 6:02 AM
If you have to have the Beatles...it would have to be "Lacquer in the Sky with Diamonds"

David Fried
03-07-2006, 7:50 AM
OK Andy, get back to the utility research muffin kitchen and finish that house!

Corey,
That's the finish we used on pens in the Woodcraft class. The finish on my pen didn't hold up. That may have been due to the pen being handled immediately after finishing (no time to dry/harden) or it might have been due to our lack of time and technique. Let us know how it works out.

Dave Fried

Corey Hallagan
03-07-2006, 6:57 PM
Thanks David, I will give here a try and see how it holds up!

corey

Corey Hallagan
03-07-2006, 9:29 PM
David, it sounds from what I have read elsewhere, it is the t ypical friction polish that will diminish in gloss after being handled. Bummer! Probably a good finish for some bowls etc that don't get handled as much, not great for pens. The qwest continues!

Corey

Corey Hallagan
03-10-2006, 9:18 PM
I got the Behlens today and tried some one a dowell I turned. Smells nice, like John said, a menthol smell, kind of like a deep heating rub! Oh rub it in but it in!
Anyway, put a nice shine on with a couple of coats. Will let it set over night to see if it cures a bit and won't rub right off with handling.
Corey

Dale Thompson
03-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Have any of you used Behlens Wood Turnishers Polish? I am considering buying some for my pens and other turnings. What kind of a shine does it leave? Is it like Shellwax and get's removed from daily use or is it a long lasting finish? Just wondering what you guys think of it.
I spent some time messing with lacquer this weekend and the fumes are just to much, after awhile I felt like listening to some Jimi Hendrix :eek:
Thanks,
Corey

Corey,
Take a shot at some "Cash" and "Willie" and all will be fine. :) Anyway, I've tried Behlen's, Mylands, etc. and all seem to "gum" up on me. I use a "Witch's Brew" of 1/3 Denatured Alcohol, 1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil and 1/3 Clear/White Shellac.

Honestly, NONE of the above will stand up on a pen if it is used! :( That is good, however, because the finish on the pen will blend with the oils from the fingers to create that GREAT warm patina of real wood! :)

A few coats of Poly will hold up a lot longer but, then again, you can buy "plastic" pens from Wal-Mart for a buck two ninety-five/gross! ;) :)

Just my opinion! :)

Dale T.

Corey Hallagan
03-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Dale, I'll take a shot of Cash! Anyway, the Behlens I tried over a semigloss lacquer finish. No gumming up, need to apply it in thin layers, then buff it and reapply. Looks nice. I will not handle it for a couple days to see if a curing helps, can't hurt! I agree on the poly, and a poly wearing off is ugly from what I hear. I nice transition from friction polish to natual polish is ok with me!

Corey

Mac McAtee
03-11-2006, 9:41 AM
Methanol smell means it is shellac. Shellac does not hold up well. You want a good durable finish for pens, go with a lacquer product. Penn State sells one and so does WoodWrite, Ltd. WoodWrite calls their product Turners Magic.

WoodWrite has some of the best customer service I have run across, no connection here, just a happy customer.