PDA

View Full Version : Harrisburg, PA Woodworking Show...

Saul Harris
03-06-2006, 8:38 PM
Anyone planning on being at the Woodworking Show in Harrisburg, PA next weekend (weekend of March 17-19)? I would like to meet anyone attending.

Chris Clark
03-13-2006, 11:28 AM
I know the farm show complex is HUGE, but how big is this show? Is it worth a ride down from the state college area?

Bill Lewis
03-13-2006, 1:59 PM
I don't plan on going to the show in Harrisburg, in fact I'd be hard pressed to ever attend another show at the farm show complex ever again.

I used to attend the home shows almost every year at the farm show complex. There was plenty of parking and it was a fun show to get ideas, and learn about new products.

Several years ago, they expanded the complex. It is now beyond huge. There is enough space inside the complex to have multiple events on the same weekend. This has caused a parking fiasco. You see they used a good bit of the parking area for the expansion.

The last show I attended was just after the expansion. They certainly didn't have their act together. Though they allocated parking for the other event, the didn't do so for the home show. We had to park outside the area, and walk a good mile to get there. We later found out that there was some satillite parking and shuttle buses, but noone was directing anyone to go there. They just closed the main lots. Consequently, people started parking in the community college lots or along the access road and walking from there. Later, when we were in the show, they announced that cars in these lots would be towed. We had a spot along the road, so we were safe.

I just checked the calender for this show, and it looks like they have not two, but FIVE events scheduled for that weekend.

Jeff Farris
03-13-2006, 2:21 PM
Since this thread came up, I will use it to announce that SharpToolsUSA and TORMEK will not be in Harrisburg, despite our being on the list of exhibitors and until recently it was on the show schedule on our web site, as well.

We just finished an extremely convoluted battle with the state of Pennsylvania over our last show in the state. They wanted to charge us corporate income tax for the entire year for all of our sales nationwide, despite the fact that we were in Pennsylvania for just 72 hours (21 of which we were open for business) and barely broke even on the show. I don't know why they picked on us alone. None of the other regular Woodworking Show exhibitors that I have talked to have had the same experience -- yet.

Anyone on SMC that was planning on attending the Harrisburg show to buy a TORMEK: I will extend you the show special this week. Contact me by e-mail (jeff at sharptoolsusa.com -- you know how to fix that address) or phone the office between 9am and 5pm CST (1-800-872-5489). Mention this post and we will give you the show special through next Monday. Sorry you can't see the demonstration, but I can't risk another battle with Pennsylvania and the associated attorney and CPA charges.

Pete Salvatore
03-13-2006, 3:45 PM
There are two events going on at the Farm Complex this weekend, if I read correctly. From their website

17 – 18 MONSTER TRUCK SHOW
Motorsports Monster Truck Racing

17 – 19 THE WOODWORKING SHOWS

From what I hear, PA is now "urging" its citizens to declare a "use tax", on their tax returns, on items purchased on the Internet too.

Dana Van Pelt
03-13-2006, 4:59 PM
I will be working the Delta Master Clinic booth. I will be doing Tablesaw, Jointer, Planer, and Bandsaw demonstrations. Please stop by and introduce yourself and say hello. I would be honored to meet anyone from Saw Mill Creek.

Mike from American Sycamore

Aaron Kline
03-13-2006, 6:05 PM
I'll probably be there.

Wes Bischel
03-13-2006, 6:08 PM
Saul,
I attended this show about 6 or 7 years ago - so use that as a caveat - no recent experience. The show was small - very small, especially for the entrance price charged. At the time I vowed not to go to another hosted by the WWS group - just wasn't worth the price or hassle. BUT, it could be different now.
Jeff,
Sorry PA is bustin' your chops. I think the Commonwealth is doing more harm than good these days.:( Thank you for extending the offer.

Wes

Charles McKinley
03-14-2006, 3:53 PM
I have not decided yet about the show. I have been less than impressed with the shows unless you go for one of the classes.

They do not even come to Pittsburgh anymore because the local shops will not attend due to high cost and poor promotion in the past.

For the residents of the Communism of Pennsylvania it is the LAW to report use tax. :(

If you have a sales tax liscense they are on you about it. I think it is to be paid in 20 days of the purchase. If you are in Allegheny or Philly county you must pay the extra 1% also.

I buy local as much as possible to support the local vendors and avoid the hassel.

Sorry for the rant.

Bill Lewis
03-14-2006, 5:17 PM
I count 5 events for the weekend

18 - 19 EASTERN NATIONAL GUN, KNIFE & MILITARY COLLECTIBLES SHOW & SALE
18 – 19 KIDS FUN FAIR

19 MOTORCYCLE SWAP MEET AND BIKE SHOW

There are two events going on at the Farm Complex this weekend, if I read correctly. From their website

Motorsports Monster Truck Racing

From what I hear, PA is now "urging" its citizens to declare a "use tax", on their tax returns, on items purchased on the Internet too.

Terry Stapleton
03-14-2006, 11:01 PM
A couple of us up here in the cold, snowy Punxsy area are going on Saturday, Saul. It's a long ride and even if the show's not huge, it'll still be a chance to talk tools and see a lot of the stuff in action.

Bob Michaels
03-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I'll be attending the Harrisburgh show on Fri and Sat. We'll be visting my SIL who lives about 30 minutes from the show. I'm going to sign up for the 2 optional classes also. Maybe someone can convince one of the promoters to make an announcement about Creekers meeting at some specified spot during the show.