PDA

View Full Version : Skew choice

Gordon Achterhof
03-06-2006, 7:41 PM
I need some advice fellows. I need to get a new skew. The one that I have is so old that it has grown moss. I'm not even sure that it is tool steel. Anyway, I need some guidance on the selection of one of these blankety blank things. Do I get an oval skew, flat, 3/4 inch, or a 1 inch? All suggestions accepted with many thanks.

Cheers
Gordon

Edward E Wilson Jr
03-06-2006, 8:07 PM
I am using, I believe a 3/4", that has a curve end to it. I do find it harder to sharpen as I cannot put in my wolverine jigs to sharpen.

I find myself not having any cathe's with it.

Ed

Raymond Overman
03-06-2006, 8:07 PM
I like the 1" oval skew that crown makes personally.

Bob Noles
03-06-2006, 8:20 PM
As soon as my lottery winnings arrive, I'm going for that big 1 1/4 inch honker that Alan Lacer banishes around on his video. That is one big tool and he does know how to use it :D

Right now I have a Sorby 1 inch and it is doing a heck of a good job for me. I rounded the edge and can actually almost use it now :p

Glenn Hodges
03-06-2006, 8:31 PM
I have 2 of the P&N 1 1/8 in Skews. One is straight like it came from Lee Valley, and the other has the ends ground back. I have the Sorbys and Crowns, but I use the 2 P&N's more than all the others.

Corey Hallagan
03-06-2006, 8:54 PM
As a newbie, I have 3 skews, a large 1 1/8 oval skew, a 3/4 inch oval skew and a 1/2 skew straight skew (no oval) I much prefer the oval. I like it very much for pens and spindle work. Keep in mind I am a beginner doing primarily pens and some spindle practice work. But I do enjoy working with the skew.
Corey

Gordon Achterhof
03-06-2006, 9:02 PM
Thanks guys, you are narowing the choices down to a managable amount.

Cheers
Gordon

Dale Thompson
03-06-2006, 9:30 PM
Gordon,
Personally, my FAVORITE chisel is my Sorby flat 3/4" skew! :o I also have ground the "Raffan Radius" on the bevel. I could NOT live without that. :eek: I also have the oval version of the same skew but have not used it enough to give you a fair evaluation. In theory, the oval shape is more forgiving on a "nicked-up" tool rest. :) On the other hand, I find it more difficult to sharpen the radiused bevel on the flat tool rest side of my Wolverine jig. That is NOT a negative on the oval skew. It is simply a matter of my lack of experience with it. ;) :)

The "un-radiused" edge of the standard skew is downright scary to look at and it caused me to quit turning for about six years because of the disastrous "catches" that I got at all stages of a project. :mad:

The size of the skew that you get is dependent on what you plan to use if for. The 3/4" has served me VERY well but if I used it more often for "roughing down" and stuff like that, I would probable add a wider version to my "rack". :) :D Good Luck!!

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I've got two ovals and two rounds. What I want is a flat one. I can sharpen the smaller skews with the Wolverine, but the bevel on the big 1-1/4" oval is too long use on the jig so it has to be done by eye and hand on the little Wolverine Table, but because it's oval it is a royal pain to keep it from rocking. Rocking turns the bevel wonky. Needless to say, I don't use that one.

Dave Fifield
03-07-2006, 5:58 AM
My favorite is a Robert Sorby 3/4" flat skew with the end ground to a slight curve and with the side edges rounded over (the sides aren't completely rounded over, just the edges).

If anyone is looking for skew technique help, I can recommend Alan Lacer's DVD "The Skew Chisel". This DVD was my only tutor - I had a few nasty catches at first, but nowadays the skew is my friend and I use it often.

Dave F.

Dale Thompson
03-07-2006, 9:45 PM
. Rocking turns the bevel wonky.

Andy,
I've been trying for YEARS to perfect the long-lost "WONKY" bevel! ;) You would make a quantum leap to the top of my "HERO LIST" if you would post a couple pics of the technique. :) Pics would be best because I don't read all that well. :o :eek:

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
03-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Andy,
I've been trying for YEARS to perfect the long-lost "WONKY" bevel! ;) You would make a quantum leap to the top of my "HERO LIST" if you would post a couple pics of the technique. :) Pics would be best because I don't read all that well. :o :eek:

Dale T.
One wonky skew just for my buddy Dale 33453

Dale Thompson
03-08-2006, 8:39 PM
One wonky skew just for my buddy Dale 33453

Andy,
You have just leap-frogged over Churchill, Ghandi, Lincoln, Shakespeare, Tom Clancy and Charles Manson! :D As we say up here in the woods while sitting around the old Pine Cone Whiskey Still trying to encourage it to "hurry up", "Youse iz da #1 MAN!!" :cool: :)

Dale T.