PDA

View Full Version : New cabinet commission hardware question

Mark Rios
03-06-2006, 7:30 PM
The house across the street from me sold and the owner wants to replace the kitchen cabinets. We decided on these Blum hinges (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2283). The doors will be inset panel with 1/2" overlay. However Rockler is out of these hinges. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where else I can get them or of an equivalent hinge?

Is the jig kit for these hinges worth the money? Any opinions on it? Any alternatives if opinions are bad?

Also, I'd like to use these drawer slides (http://www.woodpeck.com/drawerslidesbulk.html) but I can't wait until the end of the month to get them. Does anyone know where I can get a similar slide for about the same cost? I need 11 pair.

Thanks very much for any help and advice.

Gary Jacuk
03-06-2006, 7:37 PM
Mark,

Two places I would look are Lee Valley - they have a huge selection of hardware, and Van Dyke's Restorers. Both have web sites.

Good luck,
Gary

Jamie Buxton
03-06-2006, 9:12 PM
You can buy the Blum hinges from wwhardware.com. You'll pay a lower price than Rockler, too. I bore the cup hole with a shop-made template and a plunge router; I've drilled through enough door fronts to appreciate the positive depth stop on the router.

wwhardware.com also has good prices on slides from known manufacturers like KV and Accuride.

Russ Massery
03-06-2006, 9:49 PM
I'll second that for Woodworkers Hardware. I bought the Blum compact 38's for 1.38 each. Rockler for 3.99. One thing you save by buying FULL boxes.http://wwhardware.com/

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 9:21 AM
Rocklers, woodpeckers are too expensive for me.
I use the same hinge in Salice brand. .086 each, box of 50.
I get the same slides from Baer, 22", for 5.50, box of 20

Do some shopping around, much better prices out there.

tod evans
03-07-2006, 9:45 AM
Rocklers, woodpeckers are too expensive for me.
I use the same hinge in Salice brand. .086 each, box of 50.
I get the same slides from Baer, 22", for 5.50, box of 20

Do some shopping around, much better prices out there.

you buying from paxton too?

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 9:54 AM
you buying from paxton too?

Not any more. Too many times they have sold out, changing policies, customer service going to pot. Had quite a round with them on my last $1700.00 order.
I quit them late last year. Kept uping the delivery charges, fees, minimuims, etc.
Went with the local lumber yard for materials. Use Baer and HDL for hardware.

tod evans
03-07-2006, 9:58 AM
Not any more. Too many times they have sold out, changing policies, customer service going to pot. Had quite a round with them on my last $1700.00 order.
I quit them late last year. Kept uping the delivery charges, fees, minimuims, etc.
Went with the local lumber yard for materials. Use Baer and HDL for hardware.

i still deal with the kc store, have been for 15+yrs. trying a new upstart arcadia out of louisiana but they still have bugs to work out...02 tod

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 10:03 AM
i still deal with the kc store, have been for 15+yrs. trying a new upstart arcadia out of louisiana but they still have bugs to work out...02 tod

I figured you would use schaller down there?
How are they? Did some pricing with them a while back.

tod evans
03-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I figured you would use schaller down there?
How are they? Did some pricing with them a while back.

didn`t like the salesman i met several years ago and never looked back..nor-pac is good to deal with though and with 3 million bf of kiln space they produce quite a bit. when i was in missouri they tried to send me to vermillion so i stopped dealing with them. now that i`ve changed states they`re friendly again, but only wood, no sheets or hardware..02 tod

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 10:17 AM
didn`t like the salesman i met several years ago and never looked back..nor-pac is good to deal with though and with 3 million bf of kiln space they produce quite a bit. when i was in missouri they tried to send me to vermillion so i stopped dealing with them. now that i`ve changed states they`re friendly again, but only wood, no sheets or hardware..02 tod

I didn't get a real good response from schaller either. They directed me to a KC salesman. Minimum $1000.00 order, didn't have any strawboard, which i use for counter tops.
Been to vermillion couple times. Had a good friend that was a foreman over the mill there.

Dave Falkenstein
03-07-2006, 3:20 PM
Try here for good quality 3/4 and full extension slides at very reasonable prices:

http://www.gliderite.com/