PDA

View Full Version : Panel door question - any reason I should not do this?

Larry Fox
03-06-2006, 4:49 PM
Kitchen cabinet question ... again - sorry I WILL eventually finish these things.

Anyway, for my cabnets which are at the end of a run with an exposed side, I am making an end panel with raised panels to "take them to 11" (if you will). Face frames, doors, drawer fronts moldings etc are all cherry but insides of cabinets are maple. The end panels will be cherry as well. From the inside on the end cabinets this will leave me with one side, back, bottom, top in maple and one side in cherry. What I was considering doing was to glue a sheet of 1/4 maple ply to the back of the panel to make the inside of the box consistent in appearance. I was also thinking that I should only glue the ply to the rails and stiles and not the back of the panel so it could "float".

Can anyone think of a reason why I should not do this (other than covering up cherry with ply)? Anyone else out there been faced with the problem and come up with a creative way to solve it?

Thanks in advance for you time . . .

Larry

Lamar Horton
03-06-2006, 5:50 PM
No reason why this should not be done. Another way to do this is build the cabinet out of maple ply on both sides then attach the end panel to the side that will show. You can make the stile on the faceframe wider to make the end panel flush with the front or make the end panel wide enough to cover the side and faceframe or just make the end panel look like a door with the same overlay look as the rest of the cabinets. I have seen this done all of these ways, and they all looked fine to me. But that's just me.

Lamar

Steve Clardy
03-06-2006, 7:01 PM
Oughta work!!