PDA

View Full Version : Check your bandsaw!

Lee Schierer
03-06-2006, 4:38 PM
This weekend I needed to resaw some maple on my Delta 3/4 or 1 Hp bandsaw. The piece was 5-1/2" wide, 48" long and was almost to the full capacity of my saw. I started out with no problem and was able to cut at a steady pace. about a foot into teh pcut, I noticed the saw was bogging down and it took very little pressure to stop the blade. I backed out of the cut, rechecked all my saw alignments and settings, then started cutting again. It was a struggle to get the last half of the board cut. I put in wedges to make sure I wasn't pinching the blade and was very careful to avoid twisitng the board.

I thought I may have to think about upgrading the motor to a bigger one. Now before all of you jump on me and say I definitely need a bigger motor, read the rest of the story........

About the time I finally finished the cut LOML walked out in the shop and said what's that smell. As I walked to her side of the saw, I the noted that there was a hot smell. I think the dust collector was pulling it away from me on my side. I checked the board and there was no sign of burning. I touched the blade (yes the saw was off) and it wasn't hot. I reached under the saw and noted that the motor pully was very hot. I removed the guard and found that the belt was also quite hot and pretty loose. I readjusted the tension on the belt and was later able to resaw several strips of 4" tall cherry with no problem.

When's the last time you checked your badsaw drive belt?

Mike Goetzke
03-06-2006, 5:22 PM
Lee - When you were able to stop the blade with pressure did the motor keep running?

( I also had problems similar to your's the last two times I tried to resaw.)

Lee DeRaud
03-06-2006, 5:43 PM
Which Delta do you have? My 28-206 is tensioned by the weight of the motor: there's nothing to adjust.:confused:

Mike Cutler
03-06-2006, 8:01 PM
When's the last time you checked your bandsaw drive belt?

Sad too say, but awhile ago. I did the same thing with a 3 HP planer. The smell was definitely familiar;)
Nice heads up for all belt driven machines.

Dave Fifield
03-06-2006, 8:25 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Lee. I've noticed my 14" Delta BS does the same thing on thicker stock - I thought the blade was perhaps undertensioned and thus following the grain and binding - I didn't think to check the belt drive down below. I will check and adjust the tension tonight.

Cheers,
Dave F.

lou sansone
03-06-2006, 9:30 PM
good point ... one of the nice things about direct drive bandsaws is that there is no belt to check.

lou

Jim Becker
03-06-2006, 10:58 PM
I sorta had that happen a few years ago with the Jet BS I used to own...and when tightening the belt didn't solve the problem, I found that the shaft key had worked its way loose...putting it back/replacing fixed that problem!

Clint Malone
03-07-2006, 2:16 AM
I had the same thing happen on my jointer about 2 hours ago! I think I need to locktite the set screws, but mine is all dried up. Will have to buy some more I guess.

John Miliunas
03-07-2006, 8:24 AM
Lee, great reminder for all! Thanks! :) BTW, get a bigger motor for your BS!!! :D :D :D :cool:

Lee Schierer
03-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Lee - When you were able to stop the blade with pressure did the motor keep running?

( I also had problems similar to your's the last two times I tried to resaw.)
I didn't really notice if the motor stopped, I was just frustrated that the blade stopped. In hindsight, I don't think the motor stopped as I had plenty of power once the belt was tightened to cut the cherry.