PDA

View Full Version : building cabinets

Mike Evertsen
03-05-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm getting ready to build my kitchen cabinets soon. While at the woodworking I watched the guy from sommerfeld tools build them using off set tongue and groove router bits. Has anyone built cabinets using these bits

"Our woodworking, cabinetmaking, and furniture-making tools in this country were all derived from Europe. The joints that were mainly used are mortise and tenon, tongue and groove, and stile and rail – all strong joints that take time to construct. http://sommerfeldtools.com/html/images/03004.jpg The building of cabinets in the United States has evolved into the use of simple butt joints done by face nailing or pocket screwing. These joints may appear to be faster and easier to construct, but are most certainly not as accurate, nor as strong, and they are much more unsightly than the old traditional ones. "

'

Thomas Prondzinski
03-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Mike
I bought the CMT set when they came out,sure does make a strong cabinet. Overall I use it quite a bit.I just finished a dresser and used it to attach face frame.

Tom

Steve Clardy
03-06-2006, 5:15 PM
I've seen those at the shows, and the cabinets. Strong built cabinet.
I would have to totally redesign my equipment and thinking to do them that way.
I'll probably never change to that system though. It would take longer than the way I do them presently.

jack duren
03-07-2006, 12:47 AM
The building of cabinets in the United States has evolved into the use of simple butt joints done by face nailing or pocket screwing. These joints may appear to be faster and easier to construct, but are most certainly not as accurate, nor as strong, and they are much more unsightly than the old traditional ones. "

'

not really......jack

Matt Meiser
03-07-2006, 7:30 AM
Jack, can you explain your comment?

I've seen a demo of that set at a local ww club meeting. It looks really easy to use and the tounge and groove joints give you an advantage in that they self-align and stay together during assembly. For a non-pro, they seem like a good way to go because they are more fool-proof and help when working alone.

tod evans
03-07-2006, 7:56 AM
ya`ll lost me here? what makes this different from any of the cope-n-stick sets on the market? personally the idea of "square edge" sticking sounds like lots more sanding prior to finishing just to avoid sharp corners...02 tod

Matt Meiser
03-07-2006, 8:00 AM
This is to do the joinery for the boxes. It creates tounge and groove joints for the box parts. The advantages are supposed to be foolproof alignment of the parts and ease of assembly because the boxes stay together while you are fastening the parts.

Byron Trantham
03-07-2006, 8:05 AM
not really......jack

I agree Jack....Byron

tod evans
03-07-2006, 8:27 AM
This is to do the joinery for the boxes. It creates tounge and groove joints for the box parts. The advantages are supposed to be foolproof alignment of the parts and ease of assembly because the boxes stay together while you are fastening the parts.

okay, i`ll bite.....somehow different than dadoing the lower shelf and rabbiting for the back panel? .02 tod

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 8:34 AM
The strong points on this system is the face frame is all tongue and grooved onto the carcass.
System dictates the use of PB or Melimine. Which is flatter material, to acheive straight router joints. Would be a little more difficult with veener ply, as ply isn't as dependable on being straight, flat.

Steve Ash
03-07-2006, 8:53 AM
System dictates the use of PB or Melimine.

Guess that rules me out.:D

Kelly C. Hanna
03-07-2006, 8:56 AM
You'd have to count me out then, I never use either one for cabinetry. For me it's ply or solid wood only.

Face frames can be attached just fine with glue and biscuits or even glue & nailed from behind like you do Steve. I agree the system above is stronger, but figuring in the extra time is an issue for someone like me.

As far as the normal dado system for shelves and rabbets for back panels, I am a firm beliver that nothing is stronger than that method.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-07-2006, 9:06 AM
Cool pic and one liner Ashman! How's that baby runnin'?

Steve Ash
03-07-2006, 9:10 AM
How's that baby runnin'?

Runs like a dream Kelly....if you didn't live so far away I'd take you for a spin. With 450 horses, Hooker Super Comp headers and 3" flowmasters it's a blast driving through rich neighborhoods setting off car alarms.....waiting a few minutes and go back through setting them off again.:D

Frank Pellow
03-07-2006, 9:43 AM
You'd have to count me out then, I never use either one for cabinetry. For me it's ply or solid wood only.

I'm with you on this Kelly. If I never use have to use particle board or melamine again in my life, I will consider it to be an accomplishment.

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 9:50 AM
Guess that rules me out.:D

Me too. I use all ply veener for carcasses.
If I had to use pb, melimine for cabinets to compete, I would quit the business.

tod evans
03-07-2006, 10:05 AM
i thought particle board was for gluing plastic laminate to? and melimine was for disposable outfeed tables.......02 tod

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 10:08 AM
i thought particle board was for gluing plastic laminate to? and melimine was for disposable outfeed tables.......02 tod

Me too!!;)

Steve Ash
03-07-2006, 10:08 AM
and melimine was for disposable outfeed tables.......02 tod

It is...at least in my shop.

Scott Loven
03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Did anyone notice that these bits are made in China and that summerfield is no longer a CMT dealer?
Scott

Matt Meiser
03-07-2006, 10:26 AM
The person I saw demo these was using them with plywood. I'm not sure if that was his usual material or not?

tod evans
03-07-2006, 10:30 AM
to me this appears to be a cure where there is no problem? .02 tod

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I have heard he split from CMT.
I'm not a cmt fan, Had some issues with Marc with their raised arched panel templates.

Brian Jarnell
03-07-2006, 1:02 PM
Would love to know what is wrong with melamine for kitchen carcases.
Here in NZ it is used 100% for same.
We should be warned.

Frank Pellow
03-07-2006, 1:15 PM
We should be warned.
It might be OK once in place -but I hate working with it.

Brian Jarnell
03-07-2006, 1:37 PM
It might be OK once in place -but I hate working with it.
The only problem is the dust,but with the right kit that isn't a problem.

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 1:59 PM
We should be warned.

All it is is particle board covered with plastic. Dusty, heavy, absorbs water and swells. I just don't use it.

Brian Jarnell
03-07-2006, 2:33 PM
All it is is particle board covered with plastic. Dusty, heavy, absorbs water and swells. I just don't use it.
The cheap stuff is particle board,the good stuff is MDF.

Steve Clardy
03-07-2006, 3:01 PM
The cheap stuff is particle board,the good stuff is MDF.

Sorry. No comments on that:rolleyes: ;) :D

Steve Ash
03-07-2006, 3:29 PM
Somebody needs to school me I guess. All this time I thought Melamie (MDF) was cheap stuff.....wears through easily, swells when wet, what am I missing?

jack duren
03-07-2006, 4:23 PM
Particle board is the cheapest line for cabinet carcasses. melamine is double. plywood is double that. the good stuff is UV coated.

my builders want PB core. id rather use melamine. they wont pay the extra. customer is always right. i dont like ply carcasses. plywood rots and mildews just like everything else. seen it first hand. its nasty.

maintenance is the key word. whens the last time you looked under the sink other than for a fresh roll of TP or trash bags....jack

Brian Jarnell
03-07-2006, 7:28 PM
Somebody needs to school me I guess. All this time I thought Melamie (MDF) was cheap stuff.....wears through easily, swells when wet, what am I missing?

Have a look here Steve,it may be different over there.

http://www.interion.co.nz/furniture_joinery/melamine_tech.asp?content=1&nav=mel&tech=apps

Sam Shank
03-08-2006, 12:49 PM
I still don't understand how these bits will help you attach a face frame to the carcass. Or how it will make it easy to make face frames. I'm just missing 'it'.

Steve Clardy
03-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I still don't understand how these bits will help you attach a face frame to the carcass. Or how it will make it easy to make face frames. I'm just missing 'it'.

Sam. Its a tongue and groove system.:)

Scott Loven
03-08-2006, 2:51 PM
Melamine is a very hard brittle plastic resin. A thin sheet of paper soaked with melamine resin is used as the top coat of low density particle board that the Borg sells as shelving and sheet goods that some (I) use for cabinet carcass construction. Melamine paper is also used as a top layer of phenolic resin saturated paper that is used to make kitchen counter tops.
Scott

Bill Fields
03-08-2006, 3:23 PM
Melamine or similar is quite popular in Europe.

Question of taste, I guess.

That means they are way ahead of --or way behind us in definition of good taste.

We mostly prefer wood in North America.

This product is not for me either.

Bill

Brian Jarnell
03-08-2006, 3:40 PM
You will note that the crowd that make the melamine also use mdf with a wood veneer,any wood you care to mention,clash(edgeband) this with solid wood and you have a very stable material for cabinets and you dont use a small forest to get a good result.

Steve Clardy
03-08-2006, 3:47 PM
Here in the states, there is not enough wood waste to make PB, MDF, chipboard.
So whether you use solid wood, veener ply, or a man made product, the trees still get chopped down.
Yes. They take down whole trees and chip them up for PB, MDF. Of course, its lower grade trees.

Steve Ash
03-08-2006, 3:55 PM
This product is not for me either.

Me either....except for the disposable outfeed table mentioned earlier. To each their own I guess.

Dev Emch
03-08-2006, 3:56 PM

Man Steve, I might have to conclude that you hate SPIT-BOARD.:D Take your table saw dust and add a bit of binder and some horse tinkle to bind it together and you have MDF. And before the powers that be get mad and delete this entry, please go back and review your chemistry books from college. This means you Ken. I am not being flippent here. So not only does this stuff create a dust storm but the dust has some extra additives that are above and beyond anything you will find in a health food store if you catch my drift!!!!!

For X-Nay on the SPIT BOARD. I dont touch the junk. If I did, then the manufacturer can pay for my health insurance and life insurance as I prematurely croak from lung cancer or blood cancer. Compared to this stuff, wood dust is benine!!!

Steve Clardy
03-08-2006, 4:17 PM
Man Steve, I might have to conclude that you hate SPIT-BOARD.:D Take your table saw dust and add a bit of binder and some horse tinkle to bind it together and you have MDF. And before the powers that be get mad and delete this entry, please go back and review your chemistry books from college. This means you Ken. I am not being flippent here. So not only does this stuff create a dust storm but the dust has some extra additives that are above and beyond anything you will find in a health food store if you catch my drift!!!!!

For X-Nay on the SPIT BOARD. I dont touch the junk. If I did, then the manufacturer can pay for my health insurance and life insurance as I prematurely croak from lung cancer or blood cancer. Compared to this stuff, wood dust is benine!!!

Dev!!!! We found something we agree on:D

But, tell me who Ken is:confused:
Steve:D