PDA

View Full Version : Big iron in the shop

Matt Meiser
03-05-2006, 9:59 PM
Picked up this heavy cast iron antique yesterday. Makes the castings on today's models look wimpy.:D

Actually once the inside is cleaned and the outside is cleaned and painted, this will become part of our pending master bath remodel.

Jim Becker
03-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Nice! Those older tubs have so much character. I haven't decided whether to do that for our new master suite in the proposed home addition or go with another whirlpool tub...time will tell... ;)

Tyler Howell
03-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Love the Big Iron. Room for 2:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D .

Steve Clardy
03-06-2006, 5:11 PM
Cool. Have two of those. Use them for water tanks for the hay burners.
Takes four good men to heft those babies around.

Steve Ash
03-06-2006, 6:01 PM
Cool. Have two of those. Use them for water tanks for the hay burners.
Takes four good men to heft those babies around.

I've seen nearby farmers use them for hog waterers too. Guess a pig sure couldn't destroy those heavy cast tubs. I also saw a hog farmer use a mens urinal for a watrerer.

Reg Mitchell
03-06-2006, 7:58 PM
Nice Matt'
I have been wanting one of those and they seem hard to come by that don't have the porcelin chipped.
Nice tub, just wished they made them a little longer. ZIts hard to get 6"1 cozy in one of those.

Matt Meiser
03-06-2006, 8:14 PM
Nice Matt'
I have been wanting one of those and they seem hard to come by that don't have the porcelin chipped.
Nice tub, just wished they made them a little longer. ZIts hard to get 6"1 cozy in one of those.

This one has some minor chips at the edge. I'll have to do a little work filling and sanding them to blend it. Otherwise it is in great shape. We've already located fixtures at Van Dyke's Restorers.

I forgot to mention that we got this for $120. We'll probably end up spending less to have a clawfoot tub than to have a built in fiberglass one like we originally planned.

David Fried
03-06-2006, 8:16 PM
Matt,

I have two - one in each bathroom. I guess I didn't do the best job painting one of them because it has rusted. I put it in before the other fixtures. Getting it out now means removing everything! Be sure to do an extra good job painting the outside!!

Dave Fried

Matt Meiser
03-06-2006, 8:31 PM
David,
What did you use to paint yours? I'm thinking about using an oil based enamel. We used some on our Bilco door 2 years ago and it still looks good. I'll probably spray whatever I use althought some of the enamels flow out really well when brushed.