PDA

View Full Version : Lotsa Slots!

Bruce Page
08-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Where do you store a bunch of bar clamps in a 2-car garage shop when your wall & floor space is limited?
I have been pondering that question for sometime so a couple of weeks ago, I decided to make a decent rack for all my Bessey & Quick-Grips and hang it above an unused garage door.
I started by having a friend of mine who owns a machine shop order me a piece of 4”x 6”x 3/8” 6061 aluminum angle, 8’ long. Next, I drilled a .250 hole in each of my Bessey clamps for a roll pin (1st pic) - the Quick-Grips already have a pin. I also drilled a hole in the 4 Gross-Stabil bar clamps that my dad bought back in the 50’s. Next, I milled 52 slots (2nd & 3rd pic) of varying widths & depths through the angle. Using a ball end-mill, I also milled a keeper slot to capture the roll pin. It took about 8 hours and a few Millers, but I now have a decent clamp rack with plenty of open slots for future Christmas presents. ;)

Humans are the only animals that have children on purpose with the exception of guppies, who like to eat theirs. -- P. J. O’Rourke

Bob Lasley
08-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Bruce,

That's one classy rack! Hmmmm, sounds kind of cheesy, huh? Really is a nice clamp rack though. I like your milling machine too.

Bob

Jim Becker
08-05-2003, 8:40 AM
Great solution for good space utilization!

I did something similar using plywood, but hang the clamps in the opposite direction with the jaws fully open. I cut the slots on the table saw after drilling appropriate-sized holes the width of each slot. That eliminated the need to deal with a deep dado cut. The slotted piece is tilted up very slightly to insure that gravity keeps the clamps from sliding off if bumped.

Bartee Lamar
08-05-2003, 9:57 AM
Bruce,

I am fasinated with that big machine. I know is some sort of milling machine, but what is it's exact description. I would love to be able to do limited metal work like you are doing. (of course as well as the woodworking. heck... I just love making things )

By the way you won the prize on clamp storage.

Thanks for sharing....

Bruce Page
08-05-2003, 3:10 PM
Bruce,

I am fasinated with that big machine. I know is some sort of milling machine, but what is it's exact description. I would love to be able to do limited metal work like you are doing. (of course as well as the woodworking. heck... I just love making things )

By the way you won the prize on clamp storage.

Thanks for sharing....

Bartee, it’s a 20 year old Lagun FTV-4 vertical turret mill. It’s called a turret mill because you can rotate the upper ram & head assembly 360 degrees, you can see the degree markings on the column in the second pic. The Bridgeport turret mill is the most common of these and can be found in just about any machine shop. The Lagun is a bit more heavy duty than the Bridgeport but the Bridgeport has a better head – I’ve had to rebuild the Lagun head three times.

Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. - George Bernard Shaw