PDA

View Full Version : Turning in the shop

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2006, 9:36 PM
Well was puttering around the shop today and decided to turn a couple of things. I ended up doing 4. I made a saucer out of Elm for the wife. She wanted one to set a plant on. It is finished with just lacquer. I made a vase. It started out to be a small HF but ended up a open mouth vase. It is 4" tall and 2 1/2" across finished with EEE-Ultra shine and lacquer. I have got a lot to learn about HF. I also turned a poplar bowl that I dried with the DNA method. It came out real nice. I am trying Behlen Salad bowl finish on it. Then we are going to use it to see how it holds up. Only got pictures of it bottoms up since it is drying for 6 hrs. Also rough turned a cherry box. Got it in DNA now and will put it out to dry tomorrow. Anyway here they are.

Jim Ketron
03-05-2006, 9:41 PM
Nice Job Bernie!
Great shape on the vase, and wow some nice curl!:eek:
Great looking bowl I see some curl in that too, nice job on the rim!

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2006, 9:44 PM
Bernie, those are just awesome! The more I look at these and the ones you sent me, I think the vase is my favorite! You did great on them all, I bet the bowl will be pretty great looking when finished. Keep up the great work buddy!

Corey

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-05-2006, 9:45 PM
Looks real nice Bernie, I can't wait to try some bowls myself!

Cheers!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Beautiful wood and great work, Bernie.

Bill Stevener
03-05-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't know Bernie, your coming right along, they all look nice. I can see that new lathe sooner than you can.
I really like the little vase.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Boy Bernie...........You have come a long ways in a short period of time! Great projects!

Ernie Nyvall
03-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Nice work Bernie. I like the rim on the bowl and that's a nice shape to the vase. Your elm saucer is really dark... looks almost like walnut.

Ernie

Dick Parr
03-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Very nice Bernie, looks great.

Michael Stafford
03-06-2006, 5:44 AM
That vase definitely has some curl. Nice piece of wood and nice job!
That bowl is gonna be a beaut. I love the brown streaks against the white background. Nice utilitarian bowl!:D

John Hart
03-06-2006, 6:39 AM
Busy Day eh Bernie?:) Nice lookin' work! I like all of them. You're taking this vortex thing pretty seriously ain't cha?;) :)

Keith Burns
03-06-2006, 4:21 PM
Nice pieces Bernie, you have come a long way in a short time:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2006, 5:52 PM
John those are made from the last box of wood. I definately appreciate. The vase is Curly Maple and the bowl poplar. I enjoyed turning this wood John. The Elm plant saucer is just a scrape I cut off a couple of weeks ago laying on the floor. It never cracked and was pretty dry so slapped it on and gave it a turn.

Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate it.

Mike Ramsey
03-06-2006, 6:10 PM
Looking good Bernie!

Glenn Clabo
03-06-2006, 6:19 PM
Nice work Bernie...you're a newbies inspiration.

Don Orr
03-06-2006, 6:49 PM
Way to go Bernie-remember there are no mistakes, just creative opportunities;) :rolleyes: :eek: .