PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright machine

Patrick Dillon
03-05-2006, 7:52 PM
After seeing the original tread on this machine I forwarded it to a friend who immediately ordered it. It arrived Friday ( with a little shipping damage) and we have been playing with it since. For what it's worth I will give you my impressions. Please understand this machine had an introductory price of 1500.00 and I am not a professional woodworker.
The machine appears to be well built, very easy to set up and performs
exactly as described. It is manfactured in China (what isn't) but I was impressed with it's performance. The manual that is included is a little
weak but serves it's purpose. Although my friend ordered the complete set
of bits only 2 arrived, others backordered, so our experminting was limited.
It will do vector paths and althought the software is a little buggy and
limited it works pretty well. Any bitmap image can be imported and I
converted several vector images to bitmap (a Harley Davidson logo)
and it came out very good. I have a laser and of course it cannot compare to the detail of a laser but after all this is a router and for the
price I was impressed. I will order one. By the way, I am in no way associated with Carvewright. Thanks Pat Dillon

Shari Loveless
03-06-2006, 6:05 PM
Pat,
Thanks for the input. I already ordered one! Unfortunately they wouldn't give me the $1500 price even though I checked on it before the deadline date. I'll be happy to run it through it's paces and see what happens. Since I'm only interested in doing smaller "artsy" type signs, we'll see what happens. I don't understand why owners of these machines haven't posted more pics of their work. Although I know we are all pushed to the limits for time, it's still fun to share what we're doing. Erik told me this was strictly a hobby machine, not for mass production.
Shari

David Harvey
03-07-2006, 3:22 PM
It took only a week after learning of this little devil to order one and it has arrived today. Still in the box, but should have a good working knowledge of it by this weekend. Will update soon.

Dave

Shari Loveless
03-07-2006, 7:14 PM
David,
You lucky dude! :D
Do you buy your wood locally or do you order it from a specialty place? I'm not a woodworker, so any and all input will be gobbled up!
Do you have special projects in mind for this machine?
Shari

Bruce Volden
03-07-2006, 7:30 PM
David

Please do keep us posted on the new toy. I'm still awaiting samples:(

Bruce

David Harvey
03-08-2006, 6:51 PM
Sheri, I don't do a lot of woodworking myself. I have wide format digital printers, vinyl cutters, 6 needle embriodery machine and of course an Epilog Laser 40w along with t-shirt and hat presses. So, I'm geared mostly for signs, name branding, product labels, plaques, etc. But, when I do need wood I either buy it locally or from Rockler.com
Regarding the Carvewright...I got the unit setup and ready to run my first test project. It went well until it got to the point of engaging the router motor and all I heard was a loud, steady hum which lasted for about 10 seconds. The router motor would not turn! An error message appeared on the display regarding the motor problem.
So, I tried it again and the same thing happened. The router motor simply would not run...I checked the flex shaft and found that when I pulled it out ~3/8" from the sleeve, it would rotate freely...push it back in to where it engaged the motor and it wouldn't turn.
After walking around in circles for a while, I noticed in the bottom of the styrofoam shipping container that there was a screw. So I called Carvewright and Eric quickly put me on with the CEO, Chris lovchik, after describing the problem. Neither of them had experienced this problem before, especially since each and every unit gets tested before shipment.
Chris was very helpful and definitely concerned with the problem. It turns out that the screw would not have caused the problem but he knew exactly where the screw came from. The screw held a sensor circuit card onto the motor at the shaft output.
Chris was an alright guy and offered to either ship me a new unit or, to get it up and running quick, he would send me a new router motor next day air, if I was willing to make the change out myself...my choice. That was fine with me...I just replaced an x-axis servo in my laser a week ago, and that was MUCH more complicated, so this didn't worry me at all.
I'm now waiting for the new motor to arrive tommorrow and will see how it goes from there.
Other than that, the unit looks to be very high quality and I'm anxious to get it going to see what it will do.
A note...The crew at Carvewright is an OK group of people! It seems that they are VERY interested in making sure that the customer is satisfied and will go to extra lengths to make sure that happens. I had no trouble making contact with them, and Chris even gave me his personal cel phone number, stating that I could get in touch with him at any time. He definitely wants to get this motor back to investigate the problem so to avoid any future occurances in the future if possible.
Btw, the box it came in did look like it may sustained a little hard handling, so quite likely this contributed to the problem.
More later....

Shari Loveless
03-08-2006, 8:06 PM
David,
Mercy! :eek: That has got to be very frustrating. Hopefully all will be right as rain soon. How is it going with the software. I have been using the online help files, but there seeems to be a little info lacking in them. Does this thing come with a book that gives more info? I'm sure I'll figure it all out eventually, but it would be better if there were more documentation I think.
Definitely keep us informed on your projects. Can't wait to see some! It sounds like we are into the same things (embroidery and lasers).
Thanks,
Shari

David Harvey
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Sheri,
No...no book other than the user's manual for the unit, which served the purpose ok. The software is not too hard to figure out, but it is in it's infancy and doesn't have advanced capabilities yet. If they could add importing of vector files, the functionality of the machine would probably increase 1000 fold.
In preperation to having to replace the router motor, last night I removed the top cover of the unit and I quickly found the problem. The motor has an air input port on it's top side, down inside the port I spotted a #6 screw! This was lodged between one of the impeller blades and the inside casing...preventing the motor from turning. I removed the screw, reassembed the unit and it works perfectly!
Now..on to some experimenting and making of chips!

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2006, 11:27 AM
In preperation to having to replace the router motor, last night I removed the top cover of the unit and I quickly found the problem. The motor has an air input port on it's top side, down inside the port I spotted a #6 screw! This was lodged between one of the impeller blades and the inside casing...preventing the motor from turning. I removed the screw, reassembed the unit and it works perfectly!
Now..on to some experimenting and making of chips!Er, well, maybe: on a $2K tool, I think I'd want to know where that screw was supposed to go before I ran it too long.

Joe Pelonio
03-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Er, well, maybe: on a $2K tool, I think I'd want to know where that screw was supposed to go before I ran it too long.
Agreed, but also might the motor being powered but not able to move have caused some damage that might shorten it's life? I'd still take the new one when it comes.

David Harvey
03-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Actually, it looks like the screw that is used to mount the cover to the unit...the center screw in back of the unit...only one like it. I think that it may have been dangling in the hole in the cover when they were installing the cover and it just fell out into the port. Just my guess though.

I doubt that any damge may have occured since it was only stalled for a period of 10 secs. max, two times. But, the new router motor is scheduled for delivery on Saturday... I may just opt out to put the new one in just to be sure.

Bruce Volden
03-21-2006, 8:00 PM
As promised I will attempt to attach pics of 3 pieces CarveWright carved. They are in black-n-white in an attempt to capture some depth. They are all of the same design only differing in materials. One is cherry, one is a swirly grained oak (doesn't machine well) and the other is a piece of "marble" solid surface. I had to physically see and hold the materials before I ordered the machine. My thoughts~~~~???? I liked the results and will be $2K+ lighter this week!!!!!!! ;) Bruce

Shari Loveless
03-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Bruce,
Those turned out really nice. The "marble" is corian, yes? It looks like it turned out pretty good as well. My machine should be here Monday or Tuesday and I am trying to get everything caught up so I can have several days to experiment with it. I'll hit a couple of the cabinet shops to see if I can get some countertop scraps to try as well as wood. It looks to me like the machine is going to be well worth the money! :D
I'll post pics as soon as I get something "carved". I think the optional bits are still backordered so may have to wait til I get those to really do some vector carving. Erik said it shouldn't be much longer for those. They seem to be very nice guys there at CarveWright.
Shari

Frank Corker
03-22-2006, 3:53 AM
Bruce, the results are really very nice, I've never used any cnc so I have nothing to base it on, but it looks good to me well done mate

David Harvey
03-22-2006, 9:27 AM
Here's my first project made out of pine...1hr. 15m but came out pretty good.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/lpcsales/Sign/th_PICT0003.jpg (http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/lpcsales/Sign/PICT0003.jpg)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/lpcsales/Sign/th_PICT0002.jpg (http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/lpcsales/Sign/PICT0002.jpg)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/lpcsales/Sign/th_PICT0001.jpg (http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/lpcsales/Sign/PICT0001.jpg)

Dave

Royce Meritt
03-22-2006, 1:08 PM
As promised I will attempt to attach pics of 3 pieces CarveWright carved. They are in black-n-white in an attempt to capture some depth. They are all of the same design only differing in materials. One is cherry, one is a swirly grained oak (doesn't machine well) and the other is a piece of "marble" solid surface. I had to physically see and hold the materials before I ordered the machine. My thoughts~~~~???? I liked the results and will be $2K+ lighter this week!!!!!!! ;) Bruce

I was out to Bruce's yesterday dropping of some items to be engraved and he showed me the samples. I have to say I was impressed with the results. Glad he is going to pony up the 2 grand so I can have him do carving for me as well as laser engraving.:D

Wilbur Ginn
01-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Hello. I am Wilbur Ginn from Greenwood SC.
I am new to this board. I just ordered my CarveWright from Lowes with a 20% discount. 10% from CarveWright and another 10% from Lowes.
The Lowes store I ordered from new nothing about the CarveWright system but found that they did carry it. "surprise".
So I am waiting on it to come in. I have been out of wood working for about 15 yr. Made candle for these yr. Retired from power company and though I would get back into wood working. I am making cedar chest and swings.
I am looking for good things from my new CarveWright but with my luck everything is up in the air, Will just have to wait and see but in any case I have my feet wet now.

Wilbur Ginn

Michael McCoy
01-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Wilbur
I'm not sure if posting a link will violate forum rules or not so I won't but if you go to the carvewright dot com site you will see a link at the top of the page "SUPPORT". Click on the and there is a drop down menu where you will see "Tips and Tricks. There are several of them but they can keep you from a lot of the basic operator errors that most people (including me) have made. They also cover several things that make using the machine a whole lot more pleasant and really knocks down the learning curve.

AL Ursich
01-20-2009, 4:39 PM
Wilbur,

I have 3 of them and have good luck with them. I post over on the Carvewright forum as digitalwoodshop if you need any help.

Good Luck,

AL

Wilbur Ginn
01-22-2009, 6:01 PM
Hello . I am Wilbur Ginn from Greenwood SC. Waiting on my CW from Lowes to get here. They had it for 1798.00 with a 10% from CW plus 10% from Lowes that was 20% off.
I have been out of wood working for 15 yr and spent that time making candles but now I have my shop back. I am retired from power Comp and now getting back into making cedar chest, swings and flag display holders.
Made enough last summer to pay for new plainer, Band saw and jointer but back in the hole with the CW coming.
I am one of those who has a lot of good luck to go wrong so Hoping things will be good with the CW.
With everything I have read I'm not so sure it will be what I hoped for. Oh well that's life maybe it will be better than I think.
Talk with you later

Wilbur

AL Ursich
01-22-2009, 7:45 PM
Sent PM with my contact info if you run into trouble.

AL

james mcgrew
01-22-2009, 8:04 PM
wilbur, my friend and i have two of them in columbia, i am on main st if you need any help i still operate mine from time to time!!

jim mcgrew

Wilbur Ginn
01-28-2009, 3:11 PM
I got my CW in Friday and every things works fine. Have made a couple carvings using the 1/16" carving bit. I have used a peace of popler wood and a peace of ply wood. Both did ok.
I am having a problem on clearty. It is not the CW but I think the picture I used was to small.
I am not to clear on sizing the work.

Wilbur Ginn
Greenwood SC

AL Ursich
01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes, the quality of the picture or artwork can make a difference.

To check quality draw a small circle or square and select carve region and let it carve the region and see if the bottom is flat and smooth.

AL

AL Ursich
02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Here is an interesting post from a CarveWright User.... COLOR LITHO....

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10342

Making a Color Transparency and lighting it from the back to add color to the LITHO.

Not my idea but worth posting.

AL