PDA

View Full Version : PSI Baracuda2 Pros and Cons

Tom Crockett
03-05-2006, 6:53 PM
I'm not looking at a "comparison" to others, just feedback from folks who have used it. Looks like a pretty good value. Chime in......

Gary Max
03-05-2006, 7:35 PM
If you are wanting to turn small to mid size items I think it's a heck of a buy.
You get a bunch of stuff with the system.
I would not use it to turn a 100 lb bowl blank.
Just my thoughts

Rich Stewart
03-05-2006, 7:48 PM
A HUNDRED POUNDS!!!???? You'd need a crane to mount it on the lathe.

Tom Crockett
03-06-2006, 6:07 PM
Thanks guys. I thought it looked ok too. Most of my turning is under 10in ussually and not real massive stuff. Of course they are "out of stock" until sometime this month. Sent them a note asking for a date, so we'll see.

Curtis O. Seebeck
03-06-2006, 7:00 PM
That was the same story back in October when I needed to get a chuck. They were out of stock until January! I decided I didn't want to wait and bought a SuperNova 2. You can get it with the insert, woodworm screw, and 50 mm jaws from woodchipshome.com for $169 and have it in a couple of days.

Kurt Aebi
03-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I have one and really like it. Like stated above, it is not for huge stuff, but I don't believe the Nova Midi's were made for that either.

I liked the fact that it comes with everything, except the flat jaws. The wait was a little hard to take, but the cost savings and the (2) utility chucks I already have made the wait bearable.

Ron McKinley
03-07-2006, 11:24 PM
I just got the Artisan from Craft Supplies USA which is the same chuck as the Baracuda2. Fit and finish is as good as my Nova Midi. I tried all the jaws and everything works fine. Actually I like it better than the Nova because of the single key versus the tommy bars for the Nova.

"A turning a day keeps the doctor away!"