PDA

View Full Version : Help picking DC

Nick Clayton
03-05-2006, 6:42 PM
I've read the many threads pertaining to DC's and have come up with a list of possibles. Two questions though, first have you folks found your DC's running on 220V to provide better service than those on 115V? Also, are any of you using Harbor Freight units with good results? Lastly any opinions on the DC's I've listed below as possibilities. Thanks for your friendly knowledge.

Cheers,
Nick

Delta 50-850
Grizzly G10292
JDS 14040
PennState 2C2000B
ShopFox G9975

Jeffrey Makiel
03-05-2006, 7:11 PM
Nick
I recommend that you select a single stage dust collector that sports a 12" dia wheel and a 2hp motor. Also, I would prefer that the unit can accommodate 6" dia duct without modification to the fan's inlet. This system will provide good flow upto 800cfm to your equipment with nominal duct runs of 6" dia.

Some folks are using 1-1/2 hp units. I believe JET is one provider of them. They can run on 110V, but the circuit must be dedicated to the dust collector. I personally recommend 2hp and wire it for 220V if you can. This system will provide plenty of pressure to handle a ducted system for a shop the size of a two car garage.

As to whether using filter bags (low micron....less than 2 micron) or canister filters is unkown to me. I use good qualilty needle felt bags that are singed on the inside to release dust cakes. Some folks like canister filters because the pleats give you more filter surface area that will allow you to use a plastic bag for the lower bag. This is appealing to me because cleaning filter bags is very messy. But the downside to canister filters (as mentioned by others) is that they clog easily, and especially when generating fine dust as with machine drum sanding.

A single stage (versus a cyclone) provides a nice low cost solution that is quiet, effective, and portable. If outrigged with good filters, or a canister filter, they will do a good job for the average Joe.

Just my two cents...Jeff

Jimmy Tallent
03-05-2006, 7:24 PM
I use a Tempest 3 H.P and it works great.

Bart Leetch
03-05-2006, 8:24 PM
The G1029 is a 2 HP DC with a 12" fan & when you remove the Y with 2 4" openings there is 6" opening behind it. I have the older version with a 5" opening & have been told by Grizzly that I can change the cover to one with the 6" opening & it will work fine.

Jim Becker
03-05-2006, 8:44 PM
The 2hp and up units require 240v for operation and yes, they generally perform better because they can spin a larger impeller. That moves more air. Dust collection is about moving air NOT suction. The more air you can move at a given velocity (measured in cubic feet per minute), the more dust and chips you can handle. Do note that the CFM figures provided by manufacturers for most single stage DCs are bogus...figure half the rating typically.

Tom Pritchard
03-05-2006, 8:49 PM
I've read the many threads pertaining to DC's and have come up with a list of possibles. Two questions though, first have you folks found your DC's running on 220V to provide better service than those on 115V? Also, are any of you using Harbor Freight units with good results? Lastly any opinions on the DC's I've listed below as possibilities. Thanks for your friendly knowledge.

Cheers,
Nick

Delta 50-850
Grizzly G10292
JDS 14040
PennState 2C2000B
ShopFox G9975

Nick, I purchased the Grizzly 1029 a few years back, and then bought the Jet canister filter kit and retro-fitted my DC so that it has the canister and plastic bag. My shop is in the basement, and removing the cloth bags to clean them made a huge mess. My canister has a paddle that you turn to knock down any fine dust that gets caked on the filter, so that hasn't been a problem. I see that Grizzly now sells the G0548, which would save you from having to fit a canister to the G1029Z if you wanted to. The G0548 looks like this:

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/gif100/G/G0548.gif (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0548)

Keep in mind that those cloth bags can be messy to change. I understand that there is about $200.00 difference between the two DC's, and that may be a factor for you to consider. The G0583 is a 1 HP, 110V DC with the canister filter that is only $30.00 more, but has less CFM. Let us know what you decide to do, OK? Thanks!

Kent Fitzgerald
03-06-2006, 5:57 PM
Regarding the electrical issues, DCs draw a lot of current on start-up and will push the limits of a 120V circuit. Here's a Delta FAQ on this topic (http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=144&p=465). Safety note: although the FAQ doesn't mention it, a 30A breaker will require 10 gauge wire. You might be OK with a dedicated 120V circuit, but 240V is generally preferable. Don't even think about trying to run a 1.5+ HP DC on a shared 120V circuit.

Of the models you mentioned, the Delta 50-850 (as well as the 50-760, which wasn't on your list) did well in a recent FWW test. I have the Penn State DC2000 (I think that's the model you meant). I'm happy with the performance; quality is just so-so. The Harbor Freight DC is almost identical to my Penn State, but with a smaller impeller and a less powerful, 120V-only motor (this is definitley not a true 2 HP machine). The HF DC is attractively priced at $160 on sale, but it comes with worthess woven bags. By the time you've upgraded the bags, you're bumping the price range of better-performing machines.

Nick Clayton
03-13-2006, 10:42 AM
I ordered the Delta 50-850 from amazon this weekend. They have a coupon $75 off $300 so with the free shipping the dc came in at $252.00.