PDA

View Full Version : Want to feel smart today ?

Scott Donley
03-05-2006, 5:50 PM
Want to feel smart ? Read this !
Had some 5/4 maple to resaw and had to put the Woodslicer on the 14 inch jet, no problem you say, wouldn't think so. Took the 1/4 blade off, put on the Woodslicer, guides looked kind've dirty so, spent 45 minutes taking all apart and cleaning, readjusting, getting everything just perfect. Put on the resaw fence, grab a piece of cedar ( it's cheap ) to check for any drift. 1/2 inch into the cut ( not cutting very good, but no drift yet ) the wood is smoking. Turn it off, check the guides, bearings, nothing. Then I am about to take the blade off and see it, can you guess ?:) Yep, the blade had flipped and the kerf was pointing up, not down, REALLY makes a big difference ! Took it off, fixed it, checked for drift ( none thank you ) Turned off the lights and came in and opened a beer. I can resaw another day :)
Thought this might make every one else feel a bit smarter today :)

Tim Morton
03-05-2006, 6:18 PM
Want to feel smart ? Read this !
Had some 5/4 maple to resaw and had to put the Woodslicer on the 14 inch jet, no problem you say, wouldn't think so. Took the 1/4 blade off, put on the Woodslicer, guides looked kind've dirty so, spent 45 minutes taking all apart and cleaning, readjusting, getting everything just perfect. Put on the resaw fence, grab a piece of cedar ( it's cheap ) to check for any drift. 1/2 inch into the cut ( not cutting very good, but no drift yet ) the wood is smoking. Turn it off, check the guides, bearings, nothing. Then I am about to take the blade off and see it, can you guess ?:) Yep, the blade had flipped and the kerf was pointing up, not down, REALLY makes a big difference ! Took it off, fixed it, checked for drift ( none thank you ) Turned off the lights and came in and opened a beer. I can resaw another day :)
Thought this might make every one else feel a bit smarter today :)

Did that the very first time I installed a blade on my new bandsaw...so you are going to have work harder than that to make ME feel smarter:D

John Miliunas
03-05-2006, 6:28 PM
Hah!!! Almost as bad as the time I almost installed the same shelf backwards. Ahhhhh, that would be three times!!! :eek: :o :D :cool:

Roger Barga
03-05-2006, 6:36 PM
Just last week I was working in a friend's shop - needed to resaw a piece of birch 5" wide by 15" long. At first I thought the blade was dull and it was just cutting slowly. I slowed the feed rate and half way through the wood was smoking. By the time I reached the end of board there was liquid bubbling from the wood near the cut line. It never crossed my mind that the blade could be installed incorrectly, but I felt so stooopid when I inspected the blade afterwards. We had a good laugh and called it a night...

Ian Abraham
03-05-2006, 6:50 PM
Same result as when you put the chain on your chainsaw on backward huh?

Dont ask me how I know that:o

Ian

Scott Vigder
03-05-2006, 6:55 PM
Let's not forget the time (or two or three) the drill bit was all setup and ready to go only to have the drill in reverse, wondering why it was taking so much effort to drill 1/8" into the material.

Steve Ash
03-05-2006, 8:07 PM
Let's not forget the time (or two or three) the drill bit was all setup and ready to go only to have the drill in reverse, wondering why it was taking so much effort to drill 1/8" into the material.

Done that a time or twelve myself.....screwing in drywall screws in reverse just isn't very efficient.

Randy Moore
03-05-2006, 9:00 PM

Ever put a drill bit in backwards? I was working in my 13th hour at work, MAJOR OT. I was tired, pulled the bit out of my tool pouch and shoved it in the drill, put it up against the metal and had a good laugh. THAT is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: