PDA

View Full Version : New Rasp Handles

Mark Stutz
03-05-2006, 4:44 PM
Several threads ago (Sorry, I can't remember which one:o ), Mike Wenzloff referred to useing rasps to clean up the cheeks of tenons. I don't have the nice Auriou, so I reached for the Nicholson. I had been intending to make some handles for them but lost my round tuit:D . They just weren't comfortable to use without handles, so this is the result. The one on the left is Rosewood, and the other is Zircote. There ended up being less of a difference between the two than I thought there would be from the raw wood, since I had never used Zircote before. The grain pattern and color variations of the Zircote don't show up well in the picture.:( Looks like I'll have to use these more often now!:D

Mike Wenzloff
03-05-2006, 4:50 PM
Hey Mark--fantastic job! Those are gorgeous. Well done.

The Nicholson's are good rasps. I have 3 more pairs ordered.

Take care, Mike
who might get around to making new handles for them, now--gee thanks Mark!

RichMagnone
03-05-2006, 6:32 PM
Mark - those look great. How did you handle the ferrule and mating of the rasp to the handle?

Bruce Branson
03-05-2006, 6:52 PM
Great Job Mark.I am going to try to make some myself.

Mark Stutz
03-05-2006, 7:13 PM
Mike,
Wait until after the saws are done!:D

Rich,
The ferrules came from Lee Valley. I just turned the tenon to size, then used the outside edge almost like a bushing and snuk up on it with very light cuts with a skew chisel. The tang is inserted into a stepped hole, after being heated with a torch and "burned in". Leif has a nice tutorial on his site.

Derek Cohen
03-05-2006, 7:46 PM
Beautiful Mark. Heirloom quality. I like both the shape and the choice of woods.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gary Herrmann
03-06-2006, 9:07 PM
Very nice Mark!

Tyler Howell
03-06-2006, 10:36 PM
We Done Mark. Too cool!

Tom Sontag
03-07-2006, 8:13 PM
Those look very nice Mark. I have about a gazillion of those I need to make; I figure it would be good lathe practice. Do I really hafta use the skew though?:o

Mark Stutz
03-07-2006, 8:35 PM
Those look very nice Mark. I have about a gazillion of those I need to make; I figure it would be good lathe practice. Do I really hafta use the skew though?:o

Thanks, Tom. You could probably go from your roughing gouge straight to the 60 gouge!:D ;) I took this as opportunity to practice with the skew. I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about with the skew. As long as you don't let either tip touch the wood, I haven't had a problem.

Where you gonna get your wood!:eek: :D ;)

Keith Cope
03-07-2006, 8:37 PM
Those look great, Mark! That gives me inspiration for some of the exotic scraps I haven't found a good use for!

T.J. Mahaffey
03-07-2006, 9:15 PM
Thanks, Tom. You could probably go from your roughing gouge straight to the 60 gouge!:D ;) I took this as opportunity to practice with the skew. I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about with the skew. As long as you don't let either tip touch the wood, I haven't had a problem.

Where you gonna get your wood!:eek: :D ;)
Those look great, Mark.

On the skew topic... I'm about as green as a bowl blank when it comes to turning, but having just nabbed that new JET lathe from Dennis, I'm brimming with false confidence tonight, so I'll throw in my one comment.

As I've been turning file handles and mallets, I've been using the only lathe tools I have: a mixed set of super-cheapy Craftsmans I found at a swap meet for $20. As such, I happened to have 2 skews. After I nearly ruined a mallet by letting the point of my skew touch and it just ate up 20 minutes worth of work... I pulled out my *other* skew and just ground the point off. I now use my pointed skew for doing bevels and my "rounded skew" for flattening sloped areas.

FWIW.