PDA

View Full Version : Need help motorizing a Wynn filter flapper?

Brad Townsend
03-05-2006, 2:51 PM
Here's a challenge for the collective design genius of this forum:

I finished my first version of an internal pleat-beater for the Wynn cartridge filter on my DC. It works, but not as smoothly as I would like and I have already decided how I want to modify it. When I get something I'm totally happy with, I'll post pictures. I know others on here have done this and would be interested seeing other designs.

Another thing I would like to do is find a small, VERY LOW RPM AC motor that I could attach to turn the beater. The reason for this is that my DC is in the attic over my workshop and it's not all that convenient to get at. I have a circuit run that I could easily use to turn a motor on and off, saving myself having to open trap door and climb a ladder every time I want to beat the pleats on the Wynn. (Why did I put it there in the first place? Two reasons: space and noise.) I can of course, find new gearmotors and such on the web for half the cost of a new cyclone. Don't want to spend much. Was thinking of something salvaged from somewhere that could be adapted with belts, pulleys or whatever to engage the 1/2" threaded rod sticking out the top of the filter. ANY suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Ken Deckelman
03-05-2006, 6:54 PM
Try the Surplus Center for lots of small gear motors, they have a good selection and great service.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp?UID=2006030517434619&catname=electric

Jeffrey Makiel
03-05-2006, 8:05 PM
Ken,
Nice website! I'm now thinking about adding an oscillating mechanism to my drill press for drum sanding! :cool:

thanks...Jeff :)

Brad Townsend
03-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks Ken. This is exactly the information I'm looking for.

Bill Lewis
03-06-2006, 5:50 AM
Saturn windshield wiper motor, runs about 5-8 rpm and is geared so it has a good bit of torque. Also cheap, last I heard about $15 new, sorry no P/N. Use a 12V power supply salvaged from an old computer.
Do a web search on "FCG" or "flying crank ghost" and said motor to possibly find a p/n.

Keith Barkhau
03-06-2006, 4:34 PM
Personally I would start with a small block V8....

Just kidding, if you can't find a wiper moter, the motors used for auto power windows are also geared low and quite torque-y. Also 12v, but should be readily available at any salvage yard.

Mike Goetzke
03-06-2006, 5:30 PM
Surplus Center is an excellent supplier. I bought a 1/3 HP gear motor for less that $30 w/start and run caps for a grain mill for my other hobby - homebrewing (thought it was o.k. to post this since I had to use some WW'ing skills to make this):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Grain%20Mill/IMG_0737_1_1.jpg

Brad Townsend
03-06-2006, 7:25 PM
Surplus Center is an excellent supplier. I bought a 1/3 HP gear motor for less that $30 w/start and run caps for a grain mill for my other hobby - homebrewing (thought it was o.k. to post this since I had to use some WW'ing skills to make this):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Grain%20Mill/IMG_0737_1_1.jpg
And I thought my idea was far out! That is really cool.:D

Tom Bressie
03-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I'd love to have a flapper for my Wynn filter... could you post some pics of your design and any details on how I could make my own? I konw it's a simple concept, but I'd love to see it. Thanks in advance!

-dt2511

Dale Thompson
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Brad,
I thought that mechanical "filter flappers" went out with the dinosaurs and the Flintstones. :) :D

Get yourself a cheap "timing motor", put an air nozzle inside of your filter, set the pressure to 90psi (or whatever, depending on what your filter will tolerate) on your compressor and set the pulse "timing" for whatever meets your needs. :) :eek:

Anyway, that's MY input! Now I have to go outside and "beat" the dust out of my rugs with a broom! :mad: :) :D Sorry if I misunderstood your requirements! :o

Dale T.

Brad Townsend
03-07-2006, 9:15 AM
Brad,
I thought that mechanical "filter flappers" went out with the dinosaurs and the Flintstones. :) :D

Get yourself a cheap "timing motor", put an air nozzle inside of your filter, set the pressure to 90psi (or whatever, depending on what your filter will tolerate) on your compressor and set the pulse "timing" for whatever meets your needs. :) :eek:

Anyway, that's MY input! Now I have to go outside and "beat" the dust out of my rugs with a broom! :mad: :) :D Sorry if I misunderstood your requirements! :o

Dale T.
Thanks Dale. I note your location. Speaking of dinosaurs and the Flintstones, glad to see you survived the fire.:D No, I'm sure neither of us is really THAT old.

Your suggestion of the air nozzle does bring up a point however. When cleaning my filter prior to installing Version 1.0 of my "filter flapper", I noted that much of the material that had wedged between the pleats would not come out even with a direct blast of air, but raking my hand back and forth across the pleats would loosen it. Made me realize how pounding it and blasting it with air from the outside were really not very effective. In this case, I think the old fashioned approach may be the best.

Dale Thompson
03-07-2006, 9:29 PM
Thanks Dale. I note your location. Speaking of dinosaurs and the Flintstones, glad to see you survived the fire.:D No, I'm sure neither of us is really THAT old.

Your suggestion of the air nozzle does bring up a point however. When cleaning my filter prior to installing Version 1.0 of my "filter flapper", I noted that much of the material that had wedged between the pleats would not come out even with a direct blast of air, but raking my hand back and forth across the pleats would loosen it. Made me realize how pounding it and blasting it with air from the outside were really not very effective. In this case, I think the old fashioned approach may be the best.

Brad,
I'm glad that there is at least ONE person who is glad that I survived the fire. I don't hear that very often. :) ;) :(

I'm sure that you are right! :) I sort of missed the word "pleated". On the other hand, I was talking about the air blast being from INSIDE of the filter. I DO know that internal air blasts are used almost exclusively for industrial "bag collectors". The old "mechanical shakers" were not that effective and required too much maintenance due to the adverse (dusty) environment.

I'm sure that your finished system will work great!! :D NEVER pay any attention to me! I was just born to be a "pain in the pleat"! :cool: ;) :)

Dale T.

Brad Olson
03-07-2006, 10:03 PM
I'd consider using nylon bristles instead of something like hardboard.

This is the approach grizzly took on their cyclone fitlers and I think it will be easier on the filter media in the long run especially if you pick a reasionably soft bristle.

Brad Townsend
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
I'd consider using nylon bristles instead of something like hardboard.

This is the approach grizzly took on their cyclone fitlers and I think it will be easier on the filter media in the long run especially if you pick a reasionably soft bristle.
That was actually my original plan, Brad. I even went so far as to buy a cheap push broom to cannibalize for this purpose. However, when I cleaned my filter, I soon realized that the bristles would not be aggressive enough to have any real effect. The reason for this is that I opted for the polyester spunbond filter instead of the paper. It doesn't flex that easily, but on the other hand, is very tough and (I think) can take a pretty good beating without wearing out. I suspect you are on track with the soft bristle approach for a standard paper filter.

Brad Olson
03-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Sorry, I thought you had a paper filter.

You should be ok using a flapper style on the spun. If you can find it thin plastic might be the most gentle (polish the edges though)

Good luck and I anticipate pictures!

Mike Goetzke
03-08-2006, 12:28 AM
I made a simple flapper - still tweeking (I need to add another paddle but ran out of sheet metal):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust%20Collector/IMG_1764_2_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust%20Collector/IMG_1767_5_1.jpg

Brad Townsend
03-08-2006, 8:06 AM
I made a simple flapper - still tweeking (I need to add another paddle but ran out of sheet metal):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Dust%20Collector/IMG_1764_2_1.jpg

Thanks Mike. Saw these pictures before and that is what spurred me into action. I pretty much copied what you did except I used square aluminum tubing and door sweep for the flappers.

I note the inside of your filter has the same uneven bulge in one spot that mine does. (If you imagine your picture as a clock, it's about at 6:30.) This is causing problems with my first design because my flapper arms don't have enough give to go over that bump easily and still put solid pressure on the rest of the pleats. Version 2.0 will be more like yours and have more flex over the length of the flapper, while still being fairly stiff. This should help it go over that bump more easily.

Brad Townsend
03-08-2006, 8:12 AM
If you can find it thin plastic might be the most gentle (polish the edges though)
Good suggestion. I'm thinking maybe cutting up a cheap plastic trashcan? Then maybe rounding off the edges with a propane torch.