PDA

View Full Version : Rejects

doug webb
03-05-2006, 2:01 PM
Since my lathe is broke and I can't play, I decided to get back to wiring the shop. Had to move a table that had a bunch of junk on it to get to the next wall to be wired. This is most of my lathe rejects, that for one reason or the other will never leave the shop. Do ya'll toss yours or keep them around? Well, break time is over, time for a nap..Long curlies, doug

John Miliunas
03-05-2006, 2:36 PM
Yikes Doug, you've got a bunch there, of which I'm sure, there are many which I would consider "keepers"!!! But alas, if they don't measure up to your standards, I understand. Personally, most of the stuff I turn ends up being "waste"! :o :rolleyes: However, I do have quite a few laying around the shop which I find handy for throwing "odds 'n ends" into. They come in handy when working with a bunch of parts I like to keep all together in one spot. :) :cool:

Cecil Arnold
03-05-2006, 6:25 PM
Doug, seeing your pile really makes me feel better. I was starting to get the impression that everyone here (besides me) only turns perfect stuff.

Gary Max
03-05-2006, 6:38 PM
Wood burning stove----heck they burn just as good as firewood
Looks like you have a several days supply ready.

Andy Hoyt
03-05-2006, 6:43 PM
Use 'em to store supplies like Butter Pecan, #8 phillips drivers, Chocolate Cocobolo Swirl, 1/4" flat washers, and such

Rich Stewart
03-05-2006, 7:44 PM
Looks like some of it could be re-chucked and re-turned. I have been going back to old pieces that were not very good when I was just starting out and turning them into new stuff.

Ernie Nyvall
03-05-2006, 8:08 PM
I had a reject once... no wait a minute, that was one I saw.:p

Anyway, te ones I've seen before were tossed in the burn pile.:D :D

Ernie

Curt Fuller
03-05-2006, 8:58 PM
I was going to suggest, as someone else did, that you look into a wood burning stove. But then I saw you're from Panama City Florida. Maybe you could look into a wood burning air conditioner. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2006, 9:41 PM
Doug I don't feel so bad now. I thought I was the only one throwing things in the neighbors firewood pile.

Dick Parr
03-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Doug most of those look like keepers that can be fixed up and if nothing else given as gifts. You do have a load on your hands. You can also put them up for auction that someone will want to try and salvage.

Good luck with what ever you do with them.

Earl Eyre
03-06-2006, 1:18 AM
I'm glad to see that pile, too! I mentioned in another thread that I've sort of been in the lathe turning doldrums. Part of that is lack of inspiration. But a big part is I just do it as a hobbiest and have stacks of the things sitting around the house--most of them worth nothing--I don't even like them. You can only give away so many! Reading others comments about throwing many of them out gives me courage to do the same.

So what are you going to do?

Earl

Ernie Kuhn
03-06-2006, 5:02 AM
Doug,
The 2nd from the bottom photo, lower left spalted bowl looks like the design for an under-the-bed "pee pot"?
I have a BIL that lives in PCB, across from the Naval Surface Weapons Center and often wondered if you have any wood movement problems given the local humidity?
Ernie

John Hart
03-06-2006, 6:47 AM
My reject pile looks a lot like yours Doug...Just not as many since I haven't been turning as long. I think I like the idea of keeping all of them. Maybe I'll throw them out someday.....but not quite yet.;)

doug webb
03-06-2006, 7:10 AM
Most of these in the pictures are from my first attempts at teaching myself to turn. Quite a few have the faceplate screw holes in the bottoms. Some moved and cracked becuse I left the pith in. Others were too punky to bother with finishing after turning. Each did contribute something to the learning process.

Now I have a chuck, a bit more experience and SAW MILL CREEK! Would that had been the case when I started with my 70$ lathe from Big Lots.
Since I have been in the process of setting up my shop in a different location since I joined the Creek, I can't say that my work has improved any. But I THINK I know more now.

I truly believe that SMC has made me a better woodworker in general and in particular, a better turner. If you set aside all the advice and techniques, you are still left with the great comraderie and support of fellow creekers. But the main thing is that ya'll have challenged me to do better with your posts of wood the way it is supposed to look when turned.

As noted I don't really need firewood. Been in high 70's lately. Don't give away my rejects for gifts. I do use some for pencils and such on my desk and work stations. For right now I will probably just keep them around to look at when I'm resting. I like wood, even as abused as this.

Humidity here runs in 80"s alot. When we have movement in wood usually is during the winter. Have one large tool cabinet out of oak that the doors touch during the summer and have a 3/4 gap between them in the winter. I put a flap over the opening to hide it.