PDA

View Full Version : Now I am excited

Alden Miller
03-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't know if you remember the pictures of the logs I posted a while ago. I took them to the sawmill yesterday to get milled. While I was there I was telling him about how one of the walnut trees had split when it fell (not shown in my prior pictures). He said to bring it over and he could probably get a fair amount out of it.

Well, all told I took over one cherry log, four full walnut logs and three half walnut logs. Rough estimate of the take is four hundred board feet of walnut and one hundred fifty board feet of cherry!!!! :D

I am also probably going to go back and harvest a stump that was cut off at 3 1/2 feet high. I can stand in the creek behind it and flush cut it. They might not be long boards but it's probably another forty board feet of walnut!

-Alden

lou sansone
03-05-2006, 12:06 PM
always nice getting all of the boards from a log run.. many times folks skim off the best 2 boards from each log and you get the rest...
congrats
lou

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Congrats on the wood haul Alden. Sounds like you got a fair amount of good wood.

Larry Norton
03-05-2006, 1:17 PM
Nice haul, Buddy! How are you gonna dry it? I'm assuming you didn't get it sawed at Hicksville?

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2006, 4:21 PM
Awesome, maybe some day I will have the tools to harvest wood and be able to do something with it. Congrats on the wood gloat!

Corey

Mac McAtee
03-05-2006, 6:34 PM
I am also probably going to go back and harvest a stump that was cut off at 3 1/2 feet high. I can stand in the creek behind it and flush cut it. They might not be long boards but it's probably another forty board feet of walnut!

-Alden

Alden,
The best wood in that stump is a foot below ground. Please don't flush cut it. Take your time. Dig around it. Cut the roots that go off to the side. Get down below them. Dig away that creek bank so you can cut lower.

You don't and you will be wasting the best part of that tree. Wash the dirt off with a hose and take it to the sawmill. Have it quarter sawed and you will not believe what you get.

John Shuk
03-05-2006, 7:27 PM
What lumber. I saw logs but I don't see no lumber!

Alden Miller
03-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I was waiting for the "no picture" complaints...

I promise pictures when I get the wood.

Mac, I know, I know... I am thinking of seeing if we can just push the stump over into the creek with the skid loader... Right now I am sore and aching from moving the wood, tearing out molding and plaster and moving bookcases.

Hey, maybe I can get Larry and Mike to come dig stumps.

-Alden

Alden Miller
03-06-2006, 5:26 PM
Oh yeah, Larry I am getting milled from a guy that lives nearby who has a woodmizer. I am going to take it to Hicksville and get it kiln dried though.

-Alden