PDA

View Full Version : I never saw a purple tree...

David Fried
03-05-2006, 10:09 AM
but I did find some purple branches at the dump. The heartwood of the larger branches looks reddish and the bark is papery. Any ideas what it is?

This is one of the smaller branches.

I was going to try turning a flower but the branch had a bend in it so I thought I might try a mushroom but the branch was oval so I decided to turn convex and concave curves to have some surfaces to practice on with my new scrapers. I think I'm getting the hang of them! Sure was fun and I think the wood looks nice too.

Heat wave today - forty degrees or so - I just might get some shop time in!

Dave Fried

Chris Barton
03-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Kind of looks like cedar to me.

Curt Fuller
03-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Probably one of the jillion varieties of juniper you can buy at the local nursery. Got planted in the wrong spot and ended up at the dump.

John Hart
03-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I agree with Juniper. I cut one up last Spring and the inside was purple as well....but then faded to brown like your turning is showing. Fun stuff!!:)

David Fried
03-05-2006, 12:41 PM
OK - Local suggestions were cypress, cedar, and juniper. :confused:

I think Juniper wins!
Nice free practice wood. Turns very nicely.
I have a straighter branch to try a flower today, maybe.
I have to get away from this egg stuff.

I am glad John didn't mistake it for Schlamca :D

Thanks again.

Dave Fried

P.S. A tupperware container and a gallon of alcohol followed me home from the hardware store. Uh - oh.

Dick Strauss
03-08-2006, 12:55 AM
It could be yew...

David Fried
03-08-2006, 9:23 AM
It could be yew...

Dick,

It certainly could be. In Woodturning by Phil Irons he suggests using a dry Yew branch for the toadstool project and the pictures look just like my branches both before and after they are turned! I think it's Yew. Thanks.

Tomorrow I'm off to the dump to pick up the rest for future use.

Dave Fried

Mike Ramsey
03-08-2006, 9:34 AM
It looks like FOG wood to me..

David Fried
03-08-2006, 10:27 AM
It looks like FOG wood to me..

The best kind!:D