PDA

View Full Version : Not only for Dev: Martin T60

Christian Aufreiter
03-05-2006, 9:58 AM
Hello everybody,

good news for those who have been dreaming of a Martin, Altendorf or SCM European-style sliding table saw for a while and always were aware of the fact that it just was a dream. Martin is introducing a "small" format sliding table saw, the T60 (http://www.martin.info/cms/_main/index.php?id=500), that might be "more affordable".

Regards,

Christian

PS: "Unfortunately", I'm not "related" with Martin.

Jim O'Dell
03-05-2006, 10:03 AM
No, Christian, it is still a dream. :D Mama always told me, if there is no price listed, you can't afford it. This is just one more installment of one of her truths. Jim.

Christian Aufreiter
03-05-2006, 10:09 AM
No, Christian, it is still a dream. :D Mama always told me, if there is no price listed, you can't afford it. This is just one more installment of one of her truths. Jim.

A salesperson in my favorite woodworking store told me that the "fun" starts at EUR 10,000. I didn't ask if that was with or without VAT but given the features this saw offers it's not that much more expensive than a large Felder IMO.

But you're right it's still a dream for most of us (me too).:(

Christian

Chris Barton
03-05-2006, 11:34 AM
That figures to about $10/lb US...

lou sansone
03-05-2006, 12:18 PM
wow ...what a saw.. tilt in both directions ... I think it is a little out of my budget at this time

lou

Dev Emch
03-05-2006, 1:13 PM
A salesperson in my favorite woodworking store told me that the "fun" starts at EUR 10,000. I didn't ask if that was with or without VAT but given the features this saw offers it's not that much more expensive than a large Felder IMO.

But you're right it's still a dream for most of us (me too).:(

Christian

I am still using my martin T17 in my shop. I put my T73 on hold after seeing one. I need a new shop. Need more space! But as it is, I ran the T-17 yesterday for almost 8 hours straight! I cut up a monster pile of extruded polysyrene foam followed by a monster pile of 1/2 inch baltic birch followed by more 3/4 inch baltic birch. I now have about two full trash cans stuffed with dust from yesterday alone. I looked like a punk rocker with baby blue hair. My nefphew almost didnt make it to today when he called his uncle a powder puff girl. What are these kids watching on TV? The back side of my martin is power puff blue.

I looked at the URL. THANKS! Been wondering what this thing looks like. Sadly I still think the Oliver 88-DY can send this thing running for MOMMY! To bad the 88-DY is so extremely extremely rare! So far, only one has surfaced in OWWM and its an older body style.

The notion of bidirectional tilt sounds cool. Lou, where did you find where it says tilts both directions?

As to VAT! You european guys should have your heads examined for allowing that horrible VAT tax to be administered. VAT SMAT... its a sales tax and its 17.5 percent! SEVENTEEN POINT FIVE PERCENT! Talk about getting spanked! OUUUUUCCCHHHHHHHH! That hurts! We over here really feel your grief when it comes to having to pay this. Remember, our forefathers got angry at King George for taxes and so we threw a whole boat load of his tea into boston harbor just to get him angry. This whole Tetley Party was only over taxes. Maybe we should come over there and throw some of your tea into the harbor and tell the government were not paying your stinking VAT! Oh yah, this resulted in a tiny little disagreement called the revolultionary war and a few minor scribbles on parchment called the Declaration of Indepedence and the Bill of Rights. Who says violence does not work?:D

Steve Coons
03-05-2006, 1:28 PM
Dev,
Look on the page for T60 PreXision that variant has the bi-directional tilt

Ian Barley
03-05-2006, 1:45 PM
Dev - I almost hate to tell you but Christain's VAT is 20% - the rate of 17.5% is the UK rate.

Christian - very nice saw - I'm saving my pennies in a jar so that I can buy one in about 2097.

Dev Emch
03-05-2006, 1:52 PM
Dev,
Look on the page for T60 PreXision that variant has the bi-directional tilt

Thanks Steve! Got It!

1). First of all, I have to admit that this bi-directional tilt thing is uber-cool! I guess this will technology will finally put an end to the left tilt versus right tilt argument. What will those guys on woodnet do? Oh My!:D

2). The quick change V-Block feature looks pretty cool as well. You can change blades really fast.

3). Here is my major nit pick list. First of all, the quick change blade system virtually eliminates any ability to utilize dado stacks or grooving dado heads. This is bad for those of us who love to use dado capability. Remember, an oliver 88 or northfield #4 can run upwards of a FOUR INCH wide dado stack! Most of us only need less than one inch but still, the new designs dont even support that. The sliding table does not migrate to the left to accomadate the stack.

4). All this really makes me wonder who dados are done in europe? Any of you guys over there wish to let us in this little known secret? Its one thing to set up a router for a two pass dado but talk about a pain! Its massively easier to sit down with a micrometer and calculator and set my chipper count and shim spacing on paper and then just stack up and go! What does one do when you need to put two dados on a panel and repeat that process 45 or 50 times before the day is over!!!! I really wish I knew how this was done on the other side of the pond where dado stacks are UBER-EVIL.

Dev Emch
03-05-2006, 1:54 PM
Dev - I almost hate to tell you but Christain's VAT is 20% - the rate of 17.5% is the UK rate.

Christian - very nice saw - I'm saving my pennies in a jar so that I can buy one in about 2097.

Sizzle-Leans! OUCH! Christain, I am truely sorry! If we could buy it for you and then just play paper games, we would!

Ed Kowaski
03-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Dev, as far as I can tell dados are very rare in Europe and have been for decades. Can't recall ever seeing one other then drawer bottoms.

FWIW I don't have, nor have I ever owed a dado set. I rarely use dados for anything but drawer bottoms and back feeding with a shaper and feeder does a fine job of that. Not trying to start anything but I gotta say I'm not convinced a dado adds much to most work, except more work.

Ed

Steve Schoene
03-06-2006, 1:00 AM
Yeah, no dado, but I think you can key in the dado width and depth and the saw will do the adjusting to make a multipass dado. Of course since the blades change so quickly, you can install a good flat bottom cutting blade to do the work. I think this is what one of the video's of the features showed?

I obviously spent too much time looking at a machine that requires a lottery win (or a large production backlog) to afford.