PDA

View Full Version : Foam

Frank Corker
03-05-2006, 9:14 AM
Hi everyone - I'm using an Epilog 45w and wonder if anyone can give me any insight in cutting foam. Only small stuff maybe 2" thick. I heard someone mentioning it but have not been able to find the thread. Or is it one of those "Don't even go there" type of things.

I've created a few things in acrylic and wanted to be able to put them into shaped pieces for packaging purposes. The foam is just regular type foam but I don't know what type. Anyone able to help or suggest other methods for safe packaging stuff we make?

James Stokes
03-05-2006, 9:50 AM
The best way I have found to pack something delicate is to wrap it in plastic, then spray insulating foam in your box then push the piece in to the wet foam. It will contour completely around it.

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2006, 10:15 AM
The best way I have found to pack something delicate is to wrap it in plastic, then spray insulating foam in your box then push the piece in to the wet foam. It will contour completely around it.Two points on this:
1. A lot of this foam is way too aggressive in expansion and can easily crush something delicate as it cures. Use the low-expansion stuff in small quantities...you can add more later if necessary.
2. Depending on the shape of the object, getting it out of the foam at the receiving end may be a bit difficult. Or a lot difficult. Or just plain impossible. DAMHIKT.

Sometimes the old ways are best: a way bigger box than necessary, filled with popcorn or styrofoam "peanuts". Boxes are cheap.

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I've only cut "fun foam" and 1/4" gatorfoam. For shipping fragile acrylic pieces I will wrap it in the bubble wrap that has about 1/2" thick bubbles, the place it in a box with "popcorn" in the bottom, and add more popcorn.
Actually the only thing I've ever had damaged in shipping was a 12" marble tile, that one I thought would be fine just in several layers of cardboard, but arrived in 3 pieces.

Dave Fifield
03-05-2006, 4:29 PM
I'd simply wrap it in bubble-wrap with ordinary tape, then put it in the box with polystyrene peanuts around it. Should be fine.

Frank Corker
03-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks to all of you who responded