PDA

View Full Version : Bowls #1 and #2

Glenn Clabo
03-05-2006, 8:51 AM
They aren't nice enough for a good photo shoot...but they sure were fun. The little one was the first and actually started out the same size as the other one. I keep trying to make it perfect and finally had to give up because it rapidly became a tea cup.

I can't figure out if the bigger one is better for ice cream or soup.;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2006, 8:54 AM
Glenn they look good to me. They are nice looking bowls especially the one with the ice cream.:D :D What kind of wood are they and what did you finish them with. Great work.

Glenn Clabo
03-05-2006, 8:57 AM
Thanks Bernie...
They are both maple...the big one is actually some nice tiger. My goal was to turn them as well as I could so they would need just a little sanding. I just sanded at 180 and then burnest with chips. The outside is not too bad...inside there's a few catches...

Ernie Nyvall
03-05-2006, 9:08 AM
Alright Glenn, way to go!!! The big bowl sure has some nice figure in the wood. Keep it up. Only up to 180 grit huh... I usually have to go all the way to 600 to get it smooth.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2006, 9:18 AM
Nice first bowls Glenn! I'm somewhat jealous! I suppose that means our "Bonkers R US" business is history?:rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
03-05-2006, 9:26 AM
Not half shabby for a rookie!!!:rolleyes:
Or some of the pros for that matter.
Nice Job.

Andy Hoyt
03-05-2006, 9:34 AM
Well it's about time one of you guys figured out how to master Art Direction. You get the Oscar for the one on the left, Glenn. Nicely stylized, good lighting, product placement. Excellent job!

And those ice cream holders are pretty darn nice, too.

Glenn Clabo
03-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Nah Ken...We have to think growth. We can expand to Bonkers N Bowls R Us.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Seriously Glenn..............Your bowls looked really nice for first attempts! I need to do some more spindle work before I attempt some bowls!

Michael Stafford
03-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Your bowls are terrific. Hard to believe your first two!!!!:cool: You have developed style and panache! Don't go messing up your bowls with ice cream! Andy is confused.:p :D

Glenn Clabo
03-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Hang in there Ken.
I'm glad I started with spindles. I found yesterday that being somewhat comfortable with spindle turning helped with bowls. Although the skew was/is/will be a screw making torture tool. With bowls..you can learn one tool and get er done. Now...I certainly haven't learned one tool and as you can see get r done is MUCH different than making nice stuff.

Also...remember...I spent some time in my younger years turning metal. It is a big avantage to not be afraid of a lathe and know that concentration is key to not screwing (or is it skewing?) up. I don't and won't turn after a long day at the office. Call me chicken.

Ed Scolforo
03-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice fiirst bowls, Glenn, now lets see you make one in a size that will challange your DVR; how about a 4 gallon holder... Ed

Chris Barton
03-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Great looking bowls, I think the one on the left is the right size for me.

Jim Becker
03-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Very nice, Glenn...and I'm glad to see you starting out directly with some nice continuous curves.

Rich Stewart
03-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Nice looking bowls. I have tried for that perfection and gone right through the bottom. Hahaha. Sometimes it's better to quit while you're ahead. I normally sand mine to 400-600 too. I start with 180. or 120. or 60.

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Nice Glen, they both look great. Boy is that some curly wood or what on the big one!

Corey

Keith Burns
03-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Glen you have done that wood proud. They both look good to me ! Took me about 30 tries before I got one to look halfway decent. But of course, I didn't have the great crew here to help me along.

John Hart
03-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Very nice, Glenn...and I'm glad to see you starting out directly with some nice continuous curves.

Yup...this was my thought as well. Nice job Glenn!!!:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-05-2006, 2:13 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Ice Cream bowl and "Rice?" bowl.

Like them BOTH!

Bruce