View Full Version : 12" BS riser blocks?

Julio Navarro
03-05-2006, 8:26 AM
Do they make riser blocks for a 12" BS? Are riser propriatary or can they fit any similar machine?

Tyler Howell
03-05-2006, 8:30 AM
Never seen a 12" that don't mean they aren't out there. Some are interchangable.

Scott Loven
03-05-2006, 8:41 AM
Delta, Jet, harbor freight and probably others make a 6" riser for their 14" band saw machines. The blocks are most likely interchangeable although I doubt that they are proprietary. Some of the blade guard items the come with say the delta kit may not work with the HF bandsaw and vice versa. I would stick with the kit for your machine.
Scott

Ken Shoemaker
03-05-2006, 8:55 AM
Is there enough HP for the work you'll be "capable" of once the block is installed?????

Just a thought.... Ken

Rick Thom
03-05-2006, 9:17 AM
Julie, I am not sure which, if any of the 12" saws can be used with risers. Usually the 12" saws are in the 1/2 hp range making them on the low side of power for re-saw which is typically why people are looking for more than the 6" height normally offered. Many of the 14" saws are designed for that option. Normally they are more powerful motors ie 3/4 hp or more for resaw, and more ridgid frames made with cast iron rather than stamped steel. I see the Delta 14" saw with open stand and 3/4 hp motor on promo sale and it can take the riser blocks. Not sure if the other brands clones are as competitively priced or how they compare one to the other for features.

Julio Navarro
03-05-2006, 9:41 AM
Where is the Delta `14" on sale at, amazon?

Jim Becker
03-05-2006, 9:55 AM
Julio, I too have not seen any 12" saws that take a riser and as others have stated, it probably wouldn't be all that useful, outside of sight-lines, due to power deficit. Most of the current 14" saws from Delta, Jet, PM, Grizzly, etc., have provisions for a riser kit. (It's more than the block, by the way...you need a whole new guard assembly, too, to accommodate the extra height)

Doug Shepard
03-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Does your 12" BS have a joint where an upper and lower section of the frame bolt together? If not, there's no place to insert a riser block anyway, aside from the other issues mentioned.

Rick Thom
03-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Where is the Delta `14" on sale at, amazon?
Isn't it always? I think you may see them elsewhere too, especially bundled with other power tools 'rewards', (like palm sander), and at even better prices if you look around.
I am not recommending any particular brand over any other; there are many similarities between the major brands leading many (me included) to suspect 1 base-model BS is branded differently depending which quality standards it meets and which options it has installed when it leaves the delivery doors of the "far east" manufacturing plant(s). It is more to the point that there is a pretty clear transition in most brands collectively between "bench-tops", the 'under 14" ' saws, the 14-15" saws, and the larger saws over 15". The differences between categories are quantum; basic power, strength, size and weight, intended use/market.

Julio Navarro
03-05-2006, 2:15 PM
I appreciate all your help. I am struggling with this issue as I dont want to go overboard with a bandsaw that is oversized or one that is undersized. I've spent a few dollars with the few tools Ive bought so far (TS, planer, jointer, BP, mortiser, sander, two routers and endless wood for benches, etc.) and I am almost tapped out.

I know the BS is one of the important tools and I dont want to scrimp on quality for the sake of price. I will be resawing expensive wood and I want as good a result as possible from the resawing.

Ive pretty much decided a 14" w/ risers and either the Grizzly, Delta or Ridgid. Unless I can get one in an auction that is nearby to pick up. I think those are the only ones I can afford. The Jet, shop fox are just beyond reach. I was looking at the 14" rikon but it doesnt look like you can get risers for it, it doesnt seem alterable.

So hopefully I will be making a firm decision soon.

lou sansone
03-05-2006, 2:21 PM
Julio
without sounding like a scolding school teacher .... what is the rush ? slow down and take your time in acquiring your tools. otherwise you will be like many who are upgrading pretty quickly or learning the hard way that "you gets what you pay for"

kind regards
Lou

Bill Lewis
03-05-2006, 2:49 PM
I used to have a 12" Delta. I sold it and bought a 14" for this and many other reasons. There just aren't many accessories available for the 12". The C-Frame for instance is a single piece, negating the possibility of putting a riser block in it. It was also a PITA to change blades compared to a 14".