PDA

View Full Version : web frame design

bill walton
03-05-2006, 7:24 AM
I'm looking for a good reference on web frame design and construction. Can anyone provide a reference. I've looked through the last year of "FWW" and "Woodsmith" but have not seen what I'm looking for. I want to learn how all of the M&T joints in a webframe for a dresser or similar cabinet should be layed out and how they are fastened to the corner posts or sides.

TIA

Bill

Carl Eyman
03-05-2006, 8:21 AM
Bird wrote a 3 part article for FWW starting Feb 2001. The title is something like Build this Pennsylvania Desk. I am trying to do so; so am very familiar with it. The issues are at my shop so I don't have the numbers at hand. I can pm you with them this afternoon if you wish. Since his design did not call for corner posts, I had to modify it slightly because I do have corner posts. The book, I think by Moser that I took the modification from is down there too. Bird in his case w/o corner posts dovetails the drawer dividers into the sides. When you add a post you do the same thing but notch the divider to accept the post and the side doesn't come out all the way to the front. I'll try to take pictures if you wish, but much of the work is covered up.

bill walton
03-05-2006, 8:24 PM
What you've deribed is exactly what I'm doing. I'd like the issue numbers if you have time. I don't have any that far back but maybe I can get it on ebay. I'll also research on the FWW network offering.

Thanks again.
Bill

Chris Mann
03-25-2006, 6:20 AM
joyce's encyclopedia of furniture making is a good reference to have around the shop for this sort of question. I think you can pick up a used one on amazon for under $10. Some of it's a bit dated, but for case construction and that sort of thing it can be very helpful.