PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Gum tree

gerald sievers
03-05-2006, 2:23 AM
I was fortunate enought to rescue a sweet gum tree destined for the dump. I now have 5 logs 4 feet long and about 24 inches around. My local sawmill said that this wood is hard to dry. It splits and twists. I plan to dry it in my barn. any suggestions?

Dennis Peacock
03-05-2006, 7:31 AM
Yea....put it on your lathe and turn it. Turns really nice, but be ready as it will move a fair amount while drying.

Jeff Horton
03-05-2006, 9:55 AM
I turned some green and then let it dry with good results. Just need to wear a rain coat when green turning. ;) Not joking either!

Chris Barton
03-05-2006, 11:08 AM
This is likely the only useful urpose for a sweetgum. I once lived in Baton Rouge and had 16 of them in my yard and became convinced they were worthless as a landscape tree; they make millions of those mace-like balls and the limbs are very weak and tend to break all the time. I never tried to turn one so post some pictures when you are finished!

John Timberlake
03-05-2006, 1:16 PM
I also had one in Baton Rouge and cut out the top. It tried to split it. When wet the wedge would drive in without splitting and when dry you could not get the wedge started because it was so hard. I also tried to burn it and it made poor fuel. Suggest turning when not completely dry.

gerald sievers
03-05-2006, 8:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have a challange . Since I am new to this posting I will have to learn my way around. If I have any luck I will post the results.:rolleyes:

Cody Colston
03-05-2006, 9:10 PM
Check out the Sweetgum HF that Travis Stinson posted a few weeks ago.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30359