PDA

View Full Version : G0490 Followup. Replacement base, big discovery

John Hedges
03-05-2006, 1:14 AM
All,

Got the replacement base for my jointer this week. Glad to see the struts were straight this time, and the decal was properly aligned :). Put it all together and instantly noticed that the wheel was still off. It is not level when engaged making it difficult to move the beast :mad:. Not happy about that since they promised to inspect before shipment.

After wiring it all up again I had a terrible vibration to it. I readjusted everthing and still no better. After working on it I noticed that the new belt didn't seem right so I reinstalled the original belt and the vibration went away instantly. So I guess the lesson is to be prepared with a link belt and all should be well. I plan on installing a link belt tomorrow, and contacting Grizzly about the wheel as well. Also never received the touch up paint for the fence which didn't make me happy, but after using the machine today for a good bit I really enjoyed the large flat beds and tall fence.

Russ Massery
03-05-2006, 6:29 AM
John, I installed a link belt on mine. It made a big differents in the vibration. BTW the you'll need one 4' lenth of link belt to do it. I had to take out 2 links. I made it just a little shorter than the stock belt. That way the bolts end up in the middle of the adjustment slots. Could you post a picture of the wheel? I like to compare it mine. Mine's a little hard to move, but not bad. There is a lot of weight to move.

Jeff Watson
03-05-2006, 7:39 AM
I don't think inspecting the base would have made any difference on the wheels. I think that it may be a design flaw. Mine is the same way. The plate that the wheel sits on is not quite level when fully engaged. If it is level, the jointer rolls smoothly. Miner annoyance to me. It still moves around ok IMO.

CPeter James
03-05-2006, 8:30 AM
The wheel on a DJ20 mobil base isn't level either. I have a DJ20 and it was no better than the G4090s that you guys are getting and it cost a lot more. On the DJ20s the motor mount was installed upside down, causing the motor pulley to be in the wrong position which caused it to shake on the shaft.

And in addition to this the side panels don't fit worth didly squat (they are about an 1/8" too wide, so the bow out) and they vibrate. This on a base unit made in the USA and the jointer in Taiwan. I'll bet yours are better than mine and mine coast $1700.

CPeter

Ed Bamba
03-05-2006, 9:44 AM
The wheel on a DJ20 mobil base isn't level either. I have a DJ20 and it was no better than the G4090s that you guys are getting and it cost a lot more. On the DJ20s the motor mount was installed upside down, causing the motor pulley to be in the wrong position which caused it to shake on the shaft.

And in addition to this the side panels don't fit worth didly squat (they are about an 1/8" too wide, so the bow out) and they vibrate. This on a base unit made in the USA and the jointer in Taiwan. I'll bet yours are better than mine and mine coast $1700.

CPeter

My DJ-20 is on a Jet mobile base, it came that way from the fellow I bought it from. It moves really well, even over the expansion joints.

Can you attach some pics on the motor mount, I'm not visualizing this very well. I'd like to see if mine is the same. The motor's electrical box is on the bottom and made it challenging to rewire.

I got my X5 for $1150 and had only a few minutes of use on it. Hope you can post or PM me the pics of the motor.

Thanks and take care,
Ed