PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat from the Toronto Woodworking Show

Frank Pellow
03-04-2006, 10:56 PM
The show is being held March 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I attended on the first day and was pleasantly surprised by the available deals. Here is what I purchased.

a) Two 60 inch Gross Stabil clamps.

They look good on my clamp rack , eh! (along with all thier Bessy cousins)

b) A large Kreg pocket-hole clamp for 180 degree joints and one slightly smaller for 90 degree joints. The picture below shows these two clamps together with the smaller clamp that came with my original Kreg kit.

c) A Jessem Mite-R-Excel miter gauge.

The above picture shows me attempting to set up the gauge to operate on the right side of the blade. I was (unhappily :( ) surprised to learn that the gauge is set up to operate on the left side of the blade. The jigs, the scales, and all the documentation assume the gauge is to be to the left. I think that I can probably get it to work on the right but, at this point, I am not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

These acquisitions will be very useful, but what I am really proud about is that I resisted a very good deal on a Milwaukee 5625 router and JessEm Router table/lift/fence. Having spent so much on tools for my new shop last year, I am attempting to stick to a quite small budget this year.

Vaughn McMillan
03-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Nice haul, Frank. Since you've alreay got a collection of Bewssey K-Bodies, I'll be curious to see your feedback on the Gross Stabil clamps after you've had a chance to use them. Personally I like the GS clamps a bit better than the Besseys, but they are both very nice clamps. I'd like to see your opinion after you use them a bit.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
03-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Nice haul, Frank.

BTW, the reason that the miter gages are setup for the left of the blade is that is where most people use them. There have even been some models that really wouldn't work on the right side very well, such as the Incra 2000. But no matter...if you prefer the other side, just set it up that way.

Frank Pellow
03-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Nice haul, Frank.

BTW, the reason that the miter gages are setup for the left of the blade is that is where most people use them. There have even been some models that really wouldn't work on the right side very well, such as the Incra 2000. But no matter...if you prefer the other side, just set it up that way.
Maybe that's where I should be placing mine too. If anyone can give me some reasons that they prefer long miter gauges (such as the JessEm) to be placed on the left of the blade I would appreciate them. They may help me to change my mind about where to place it. I thought that it was natuarla to have the mitre guage operate on the side of the blade where I have a lot of table.

Oh yes: Happy Birthday Jim!

Rick Thom
03-05-2006, 1:16 PM
Frank, that's an interesting question.. left vs right. Are you left handed by any chance?
btw, I didn't escape that same ww show quite as unscathed as Frank. New BS and almost bit for another router. Tons of routers and accessories to be had.

Art Mulder
03-05-2006, 1:24 PM
The show is being held March 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I attended on the first day and was pleasantly surprised by the available deals. ...

Well shoot, Frank, why didn't you say "Hi!" ?? I was working in the "Kids Woodworking" area all day Friday, and I was even wearing a name tag. I thought you might be there...

I also brought home four of the orange beasts. (24" Gross Stabil clamps.) A 40% discount (I think that is what it was) is nothing to sneeze at. And seeing as how I passed on the Bessey deal last year, I was happy to indulge. In fact, I liked this deal better than the Bessey deal, since it was completely "A La Carte" -- I didn't like that the Bessey deal forced you to buy sets of four.

I also found a few large forstners that I needed, and one of those inexpensive router bit sets followed me home also. The best tool score though was when my brother bought himself a DeWalt cordless nailer, and they gave him a ROS for free. He didn't need one, and so it followed me home.:D

But for me, meeting all the people was the best part of the show. Bumped into lots of folks that I know from another forum, as well as other fine folks. Helping the kids build a step stool project was also quite neat.

The biggest shocker of the show was that the ever-present orange shammies are now green. That will take some getting used to... :p

best,
...art

Frank Pellow
03-05-2006, 6:31 PM
Art, I wish I had known you were going to be there. I looked briefly at the kids working area two or three times, but did not go into it.

I was inmpressed by the setup of the area. How does one go about being a volunteer? If they want me, I would be happy to volunteer in that area next year.

Art Mulder
03-05-2006, 8:13 PM
I was impressed by the setup of the area. How does one go about being a volunteer? If they want me, I would be happy to volunteer in that area next year.

This year they had an excess of volunteers. They usually post a call for volunteers on the CHW forum in January or early February. Keep an eye there next year.

I have contacts at the magazine, which was how I got in. Other people keep re-volunteering each year.

It really is a lot of fun. A bit tiring when the kids are coming thick and fast, but it is also fun to see them building something. And there are plenty of quet times also when you can visit with others, and maybe take a turn around the show floor.

best,
...art