PDA

View Full Version : Delta Lathe

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2006, 10:50 PM
My brother-in-law just called me and said I could pick up a Delta lathe. He said it was a 46-700. He told me it would outboard turn to 16" and 12" over the bed. He told me the guy used it for about a 1/2 hr. and it has set there in the corner since. He told me he turn it on and it ran smooth and quiet. He said the speed change seemed to work ok. Is $370 to much for a unit like this? Also does anyone have one or had one can give me some info on them? It comes with he said like a utility chuck, a set of tools he said had been used but never sharpened, extra faceplate. It is close enough I could pick it up so therefore no shipping. Any info would be appreciated.

doug webb
03-05-2006, 1:02 AM
Closest I can come to helping you is mine is a 46-715, the 14 inch one. Had it round 5 years, well satisfied with it. And it has had to survive me trying to self teach myself.The 715 runs about 700 new. Any help at all?

Gary Max
03-05-2006, 3:09 AM
Two months ago Amazon had the 46-715 on sale for $419.00 delivered to your door. If I could of spared the money I would of bought one for a back-up. Set of tools---that could be anything from $20.00 to hundreds of dollors. The extras can be a very big deal.
But I am thinking a bit high on the price tag.

John Hart
03-05-2006, 7:23 AM
Looks like Amazon has the 700 for $480 without the stand. Specs say 500-2000 RPM and 3/4HP....33" spindle length. 500 RPM seems a tad high for the low-end...but other than that, it seems like a good deal Bernie.:)

Corey Hallagan
03-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Uh huh... yeap... by the all star break!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2006, 11:03 AM
LOL!! Now Corey I told ya hush now.:eek: Just window shopping.:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2006, 11:16 PM
I have been doing some research and can't find much on this Delta 46-700. What I have found most said they have or had headstock bearing problems. For $100 more I can get a new lathe with warranty. I am needing to turn some bowls from 12" to 14". The wife says $500 is "it" so that leaves me with either the Sears or the Grizzly G0462 to get the size I need. I did find a couple of guys who had the G0462 and were happy with them so far. One guy said he had a hugh piece of burl on his and it handled it fine. I will continue looking. Thanks for all the responses.

Cecil Arnold
03-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I think that's a wise move Bernie. Check out some listings from some of the turner's associations and find a good used unit that is in good condition. You should be able to find something in that price range to fill the gap until things bet better and you get your 3520.

Earl Eyre
03-06-2006, 1:02 AM
Bernie, I had that lathe and I'm afraid I would be one who not recommend it. If you are planning on only doing spindle work or small bowls it will probably be fine. NO way could you do 12" or 14" bowls. Not enough power or swing. Also, the head turns out at 90 degrees, but not 45 so you really couldn't use it that way either. I threw out the bearings on a hollow form, and had to constantly mess with the Reeves drive. It would stick, pulleys would come loose, belts would slip, etc., etc. I never could get it to run vibration free, even with sand bags piled on a rack built into the legs. It is really a light weight lathe built to look like a heavy duty one. It just won't take the abuse most of us throw at a lathe. You could probably make chair legs all day long it, but not much else.

I'd save save your money and buy something else.

Earl

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2006, 5:32 PM
You should be able to find something in that price range to fill the gap until things bet better and you get your 3520.

Cecil if I got mustard Andy would kill me.

Anyway found out some more that the guy bought the unit in 1998. I found out thru another couple of forums that they viberated bad, bearing problems, etc. so just didn't want to mess with it. As far as used stuff goes there are some good prices on some good stuff till it comes time to put it on the truck and again you have almost as much as a new one.

Thanks for all the replies. I need to make a decision pretty soon as I now have to make 2 salad bowl sets with 14" main bowl.