PDA

View Full Version : Be Like Mike

Mark Cothren
03-04-2006, 8:21 PM
Yes, I'm a Gatorade commercial...

Big Mike has me hooked on these boxes... I sure enjoy makin' 'em... when I grow up I wanna be like Mike...:D

This one gave me fits... I turned the original lid too thin and made a donut... then when I did this second lid I didn't pay attention and turned the grain the opposite of the bottom....:o

And THEN I left a little nub on the bottom that needed to be chiseled off after I de-chucked it... and managed to knock a little plug out when I did it...:mad:

But even after all that I still kinda like it... gonna give it to my baby girl and let her keep her rings in it.

It's a piece of Walnut that Terry Hatfield gave me and Dennis last fall at his BBQ. Thanks Terry!!!!

2-1/4" tall... 3-1/4" wide...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BWbox01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BWbox02.jpg

Corey Hallagan
03-04-2006, 9:01 PM
I like it Mark, different shape and the finish is real nice!

Corey

Travis Stinson
03-04-2006, 9:04 PM
Oh yea you're hooked! That's a very sweet box, I like it.:cool:

John Hart
03-04-2006, 9:10 PM
I couldn't believe it when I read that it was walnut! Incredibly rich. The box is totally cool!!

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2006, 9:23 PM
Oooohhhh!!!!!! I LIKE that shape!!!!!! Very nice....very nice indeed.:D :D :D

Ernie Nyvall
03-04-2006, 9:32 PM
Nice box Mark. I really like the form.

Ernie

Dick Parr
03-04-2006, 9:35 PM
Looks great Mark.;)

Keith Burns
03-04-2006, 9:37 PM
Nice box Mark. Nice form and finish. Your baby girl sure is lucky:) :)

Paul Douglass
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I think I am going to have to get busy and post something that you people can really critic. I mean what can you say about a box like that except beautiful, outstanding, etc.etc.

Jim Ketron
03-04-2006, 10:37 PM
BEAUTIFUL Mark!
Awesome Box!

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Wow. Beautiful box. I like the shape of it. Gives me a idea.

Bill Stevener
03-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Well Mark, after all what ever you did to it, it sure looks great.

Very nice box.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
03-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Was gonna say I didn't like it so much.

Then I was gonna say that I liked it kinda sorta.

And now that I'm nearly done, I can unequivocably say that I do indeed like it.

doug webb
03-05-2006, 12:58 AM
I like it un-e-quivvie too

Michael Stafford
03-05-2006, 6:46 AM
You are already a blessing to so many, don't mess it up and be like Mike...:p

Looks like a terrific little box. I assume it is a loose fitting lid so that it can be opened with one hand? Doesn't matter just curious.

You really have a knack for box turning. I love it!:D

Rich Stewart
03-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I am happy to hear that I am not the only one who has problems like that. I continually get to thinking about something else when pressing pens together that I forget to match the grain. I have notes written on my DP table reminding me to "match the grain". Another one i do is make the lid too loose then can't jam chuck it on the box, make it too tight and split the box, then ca the crack and ruin the finish.

That little box is terrific!! You did a great job. I, too, like boxes best.

Chris Barton
03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I really like doing the boxes and think yours looks excellent. The color and size is perfect.

Michael Stafford
03-05-2006, 1:23 PM
I am happy to hear that I am not the only one who has problems like that. I continually get to thinking about something else when pressing pens together that I forget to match the grain. I have notes written on my DP table reminding me to "match the grain". Another one i do is make the lid too loose then can't jam chuck it on the box, make it too tight and split the box, then ca the crack and ruin the finish.

Rich, if the lid is too loose you can tighten it up by putting a layer or two of tissue between the lid and the box body. I do that sometimes if the lid is just a smidgeon too loose. If you really have loose fit you can take a piece of paper towel. Whatever it takes. If worse comes to worse, tape the lid on with masking tape while you finish turn it.

When the lid is too tight, it is time to remove some more wood on the box body. Usually just a swipe or two with some fine sandpaper will do it. If it takes more than that it is time to go back to a cutting tool because sanding will eventually make your box out of round.

Everybody has these problems, we just have to figure out how to make them look as good as we can....;)

Mark Cothren
03-06-2006, 4:16 PM
If worse comes to worse, tape the lid on with masking tape while you finish turn it.

Hey... were you watching thru my window when I finished this lid??? :o

Glenn Hodges
03-06-2006, 5:30 PM
I like the different and this one is so nice.