PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #3 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-04-2006, 8:07 PM
So yesterday (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32329), I left off after setting about half of the 4x6 common rafters on one side of the roof. Today I finished the balance of the commons, which means that all that's left on it is to clean it up a bit and add the tusk tenons underneath the King Posts. Got it all done around ice cream time, and spent the rest of the day distracted by other obligations. Here are two pics. No explanations seem to be needed for them.
33200 33201
After I fuss with it a bit tomorrow then the really "fun" stuff begins. The Steeple is next.

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Beautiful work!!

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Very nice work there Andy...!!!!! I love that stuff your are doing. Thanks for sharing.

Vaughn McMillan
03-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Andy, that must be a teeny little hammer you're using to nail all those rafters into place. Excellent work, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more.

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
03-05-2006, 5:45 AM
Andy, your contractor is really hustling on this project. And, he works on the weekends!! :eek: :D Hopefully you won't get slowed down once the subs start getting involved. ;) :D

I really like this. Wish I could see it in person.

Karl

Bruce Page
03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Andy, along with your church building skills, your photography is excellent too!

Michael Stafford
03-05-2006, 1:12 PM
Pretty work, Andy, just some pretty work! Love those scale models!:D

Andy Hoyt
03-05-2006, 3:08 PM
Thanks, again for your kind words.

Vaughn - When doing really fine carpentry like this the right tool is absolutely essential. Here's a shot of my fine adjustment hammer for getting those rafters on layout.
Note also my little buddy in the corner. He's exactly 6' tall - which should give you a better appreciation for the scale of the timberframe.

And Karl - Yes, my GC does work evenings, weekends, and holidays too. It's really great when work needs to be done. But the problem in this instance is that he's far too inexpensive!

Karl Laustrup
03-05-2006, 3:35 PM
But the problem in this instance is that he's far too inexpensive!

Probably just works for ICE CREAM, eh. :D

Karl

Andy Hoyt
03-05-2006, 4:48 PM
Yeah, and that must explain why the S.O.B. didn't show up today. Can you believe that ME, MYSELF, and I ran out last night? Scarfed down the last scoop of homemade Kahlua Mint Chip, and too pooped to churn some more. Dang! Wonder if they sell this stuff in stores?