PDA

View Full Version : Cermark tape won't stick!

Carla Lange
03-04-2006, 7:43 PM
Hi All,
I bought the Cermark tape to try out. For the life of me I can not get it to stick to steel or air craft grade aluminum. I am using an Epilog 45 watt. I tried the recommended settings of 45s 100p 400dpi. It rubs off. Then I tried 20s 100p and 600dpi with the same results. I searched the posts and have found only threads on the spray. Has anyone had luck with the tape? I haven't gotten any nickel plate yet, but need to mark this material next week. (I hope)
H_E_L_P!

Thank you,

Carla

Joe Pelonio
03-04-2006, 8:01 PM
I have never tried the tape, but for the liquid on my 24TT 45 watts I use settings of speed 10, 100 power, 400 dpi. Had the same trouble as you when doing some zippo lighters until I slowed it down.

Carla Lange
03-04-2006, 9:33 PM
Thanks Joe,
Guess I didn't slow it down enough. I'll try again tomorrow.
I was just wondering if anyone had used the tape with good results.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Carla

Keith Outten
03-05-2006, 8:02 AM
Carla,

My experience with Cermark is that when you have a material that after engraving the mark is not permanent the problem is some kind of coating or the surface wasn't clean. This has happened to me particularly with stainless steel.

Bead blasting always solves the problem for me.

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Carla,

My experience with Cermark is that when you have a material that after engraving the mark is not permanent the problem is some kind of coating or the surface wasn't clean. This has happened to me particularly with stainless steel.

Bead blasting always solves the problem for me.
That's true, though you can get around it by running the rastor without the cermark, then without moving it apply the cermark and run again. The first run will burn off the coating. If you have to do that your price will have to go up. I'll warn my customers that I need uncoated metal or will charge double.

Keith Outten
03-05-2006, 9:20 PM
Joe,

Yours is a good idea, I don't know wht I didn't think about engraving the area first before applying the Cermark solution.

Thanks

Mike Mackenzie
03-06-2006, 4:46 PM
With our experience with the tape it takes twice the power as the liquid or slow it down twice as slow.

It would seam that the tape would be easier to use but thats not the case.

Carla Lange
03-06-2006, 7:40 PM
Well, I'm not having too much luck with the tape. I'm busy with other things now, but I'll give it ANOTHER try tomorrow. Thank you all for your help.

Carla

Jim A. Walters
03-07-2006, 10:38 AM
I have used the tape on custom tool steel lathe bits for a local tool shop. I only have a 25 watt Pinnacle, and had to run it at 1.2% speed and 100% power. The Cermark looked really good until you rubbed it a bit. If I rubbed it vigorously, it would fade quite a bit, but would still remain readable. Good thing the lathe bit has a rather short life.