PDA

View Full Version : dewalt 13" planer

GORDON THOMAS
03-04-2006, 6:56 PM
has anyone had an issue with the knives on the DW 735 planer? I ssem to remember there was a discussion on this exact ponit.

TIA,

Gordon

David Abel
03-04-2006, 7:24 PM
has anyone had an issue with the knives on the DW 735 planer? I ssem to remember there was a discussion on this exact ponit.

TIA,

Gordon

Where you been, Gordon? :) Only a zillion 735 users have complained about the short life of the blades. Every WW forum on the net has threads devoted to the problem. I'm sticking with my 733 until it breaks. I've seen the 735 in action, and I think it's pretty impressive. It leaves an ultra smooth finish when the knives are new. A few people have gotten new knives from Dewalt after complaining about how quickly the knives dulled/chipped.

Dave

Scott Vigder
03-04-2006, 9:31 PM
I've run between 700-800 board feet of cherry through my DeWalt and recently flipped the knives over to Side Two. I think that's acceptable, considering what a great job they do.

Matt Tawes
03-05-2006, 9:43 AM
Yep, there's been a number of posts pertaining to the short life of the DW735 knives which I think just boils down to the fact that they're on only 1/16" thick. I've been through a number of sets in the 3yrs. I've owned mine. I just got a new set a month ago from Infinity http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1111 and so far I've run a good deal of cherry and poplar through and I would have to say based on the limited time I've had them in that they are holding an edge better than the Dewalt replacements.