PDA

View Full Version : Curly Myrtle bowl & Mahogany platter

Chip Sutherland
03-04-2006, 6:42 PM
Been turning. Here are 2 new pieces

The Curly Myrtle came from Curly Woods. The blank behind the finished bowl gives the beginning perspective. The bowl is finished in tung oil and buffed on the Beall system. My tastes lean towards a rim feature and small thin footings. End grain tearout was a nuisance but manageable. The foot was turned with my version of the compression chuck courtesy of Bill G tutelage. The dimensions are: 3 1/8H x 7 11/16W and 1/8 thick walls consistently to just over 3/16" at the foot.

The prop behind the Mahogany platter is the actual cutoff from a 18"x14" 6/4 blank I received courtesy of a friend who builds custom doors. The blank was cut on my bandsaw at 13 3/4". The rim features a double bead and single shoulder. The outer bead being the smaller one. Finished dimensions are: 1 1/2" Tall x 13 1/4 wide. Inside depth is just over 1". The rim is 1" and the primary thickness is 1/4". Finish is 2 coats of Tung oil. It will get a 3rd coat then buffed on the Beall system in 3-4 weeks after the last coat is cured.

I really screwed up the platter and finished the footing before I had finished hollowing out the center. Too many stop & start distractions. It was very awkward trying to part off the 3" chuck. I ended up having to power sand the center 3-4" because of my mistake. The center isn't really flat and the aggressive sanding left some unintended residual marks. Even though I made a bonehead mistake, I really like the outcome and the goof marks are pleasing to touch. Everybody seems to smile and rub the center even more !? Actual time for this platter turning until finishing was about 5 hrs of work. My turning efficiency is improving.

Submitted for your review.....

John Hart
03-04-2006, 7:08 PM
Really pretty work Chip! Nice form, nice finish and I like the foot(s)..feet?...Ok...the cute little bottoms!!:) ;)

Corey Hallagan
03-04-2006, 7:21 PM
Nice work, they still work great to me!

Corey

Mark Cothren
03-04-2006, 8:07 PM
Nice work, Chip! Looks good!

Thanks for the pictures!

Bill Stevener
03-04-2006, 8:07 PM
Very nice looking work from my end Chip.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Miliunas
03-04-2006, 8:13 PM
Looking good on both counts, Chip! :) Try as hard as I might, I can see no tell-tale of any "goofs", too! :D :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
03-04-2006, 9:44 PM
I like the design in the platter Chip. Both are nice work though.

Ernie

Keith Burns
03-04-2006, 9:51 PM
Very nice work Chip. Both look good to me:) :)

doug webb
03-05-2006, 1:04 AM
I even used my bifocals and didn't see anything 'cept some might pretty work. Thanks for the look-see.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2006, 9:10 AM
They look awful nice to me Chip. Great recovery work. I did not see any mistakes.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-05-2006, 2:20 PM
Very nice, Chip. I didn't notice any BOOBOOs either.

Bruce