PDA

View Full Version : Best selling pen

Gary Max
03-04-2006, 6:40 PM
I had to stop building my bed this week because I ran out of my best selling pens. My #1 selling pen is Cedar---I have no ideal why---it's just the one folks like the most. I send these all over the country.
The lighter---pinkish cream colored---are made from Madrone Burl.
It's something new----it turns real nice---a little softer than cherry
The Cedar is from a very old burl----we call it--- the 500 year old burl.
Hey it's a good sounding story, and it sells pens.

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2006, 6:43 PM
Gary those are some mighty fine looking pens. I have never turned Cedar but have a chance to get some. Thanks for the pictures.

John Hart
03-04-2006, 7:02 PM
Gary...I'm still holding on to my 500 year old piece until I'm worthy to turn it. (might be another 500 years!!)
Nice looking pens!!:)

Gary Max
03-04-2006, 7:10 PM
Bernie---cedar can be a real bear to turn.
I turn a bunch of it just because it's something different.
I really like DIFFERENT.
It wants to dull tools fast because it is a very abrasive wood. It also likes to break and crack. If it gets to dry--- there is to much tear-out. So it can be real fun to work with.

Corey Hallagan
03-04-2006, 7:20 PM
Beautiful pens Gary! I didn't realize that Cedar was problematic like that, good to know!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
03-04-2006, 9:41 PM
Gary, that is some nice cedar you got there. Good job on the pens.

Ernie

Keith Burns
03-04-2006, 9:56 PM
Great pens Gary, now get back to work on the bed, you look tired:D

Rich Stewart
03-05-2006, 10:23 AM
That's good to know. I have a ton of red cedar. Been laying in the woods by my house for years. I tried turning some bowls out of it and they look pretty nice. They get these little cracks in them. Running all different ways. I think I'll cut up some pen blanks and try that. Thanks for the tip.

Chris Barton
03-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Gary,

I really like your pens and the cedar is just naturally a great wood to have in hand. So, about how many pens do you sell a year?

Keel McDonald
03-06-2006, 7:16 AM
Gary

Nice pens! I've turned some Cedar pens too. They go like hotcakes. In my experience, it's because of the aroma. They still emit a pleasing smell that seems to get to people.