PDA

View Full Version : A Pleasant Problem

Reed Wells
03-04-2006, 5:39 PM
I built this vanity for my thirteen year old daughter for Christmas. I put a picture and an off the wall price on my business site. The response has been very good. My problem is the wiring that leads from the six 20 watt halogens to the transformer (mounted at the back of the base unit). I need to come up with a covering for them that will still allow me to fold the mirror on itself for shipping. The mirrors are joined with glue and pocket screws so I am restricted for room to grove it. I am a little nervous about electrical safety, that is beyond my expertise. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, Reed (The wires plug into the transformer).

http://www.majikmushroom.com/images/log_furniture_vanity3.jpg

Ian Abraham
03-04-2006, 6:55 PM
What about that flexible plastic conduit they sell for protecting / organising computer cabling?

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html

A U shaped piece of that stuff clamped over the hinge would allow it to flex and still keep the cable safe. I'm guessing you would want the brown stuff not the NEON GREEN :D

I assume that the lights are low voltage if they are run from a transformer, so electrical safety isn't such a problem, you just want to protect the wire from physical damage?

Cheers

Ian

Jamie Buxton
03-04-2006, 8:16 PM
Reed, why do you want to cover the wires? In many ways those wires are just like the power cord attached to any electrical device: a copper core covered with flexible insulation. The insulation is generally considered sufficient protection.

Brian Dormer
03-04-2006, 8:22 PM
If those are low voltage lights (you mention a transformer) - then the wires are only carrying 12 volts and farily low current. I'm with Jamie on this one - secure the wires with clips and don't sweat it.

I'd only be concerned it the lights were 120V.

bd

Jamie Buxton
03-04-2006, 8:38 PM
Okay, let me guess an answer to my previous question. I'm guessing that the wires from the lights just kinda pop out of the back of the wood surrounding the mirrors, and you don't like the looks. You can make a wood cover for the wires. With a table saw or a router, groove the concealed face of the cover, and run the wires in that channel. Use screws to fasten the cover to the rest of the furniture. The plastic cover which Ian mentions would be quicker to make, but the wood cover would look better if somebody checks behind your furniture.

Steve Aiken
03-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Very nice work.

I would not want to be selling this product, due to personal liability issues. Because you are customizing the wiring, the product is not U/L approved. If a unit were to malfunction and burn down someone's lovely 2 million dollar home, I'd not want to be at the receiving end of that lawsuit.

You might be able to sell this as a kit, and the purchaser completes the assembly. You could recommend the purchaser use the services of a licenced electrician. Then you'd be Ok, so long as all the parts are U/L approved. If things go wrong on the installation, it's the purchasers fault.

Again, nice work - your daughter will cherish this for life.

Steve

Bart Leetch
03-05-2006, 4:30 PM
Prep everything for the lights & tell the customer what light kit to purchase & install & don't tell them how to install it & let them do it. You really can't afford to do it any other way.