PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 4090 Delivered & Assembled

Scott Vigder
03-04-2006, 4:53 PM
.....in record time! I placed my order on Feb 28th and the unit was delivered March 2nd. The Overnite driver offloaded and manuevered the boxes into my shop door with ease. Bonus!

Funny how the large crate with the bed looks a bit like a coffin...we're going to keep it for the kids to do some serious halloween decorating next fall.

I downloaded and read (twice) the owners manual prior to receiving shipment, so I had a pretty good idea what to expect. The only damage I can report is the cabinet access panels on each side are dented in about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch...noticeable but certainly nothing to effect functionality.

It took me about 30 minutes to remove all the protective grease (don't forget the cutterhead), then another 45 minutes to get the cabinet together. All went smoothly. Once a buddy showed up to help me hoist the table onto the stand, it took about 2 hours to get to the point of a test run.
The fence carriage is the hardest part to install. It is heavy, needs to be balanced properly to get the bolts in correctly, then the height needs to be adjsuted to keep the fence from scraping the table top.
The fence is the next hardest part to install, a factor of the weight and fear of dropping and damaging the table top. Place shop towels or some of the flat styrofoam that came with the cabinet on the table top to prevent unsightly gouges.
The cutterhead guard, when properly installed, seems to really bang against the fence when the stock runs through. I'm goig to put a small piece of rubber on it to prevent fence damage.I left the cabinet access panels off when I fired it up because I wanted to see the tension on the belt. The unit fired up nicely, and I would estimate it takes more than a full second to get up to full speed. I thought the belt was a little too wobbly, so I unplugged and tightened it up by dropping the motor a wee bit. Then when I fired it up, it cut off after two seconds. Repeat, same result. Repeat, same result. Repeat, now it runs fine. I may have overtightened the belt. I don't have a plumb bob, but the alignment of the pulley to the motor seems good.

The beds seemed parallel, so it was time to run a nice thick cherry board through for the test. Here we go! No shavings at all. See, when you adjust the outfeed table and not the infeed table, you're not going to joint anything. So I ratcheted the infeed table down a 1/32 and tried again.

Ahhhh that fabulous sound of wood being shaped! The face was nice and smooth save for a slight but noticeable line (about 1-1.5mm wide) directly down the middle. Any thoughts on what needs to be tweaked?

The unit is incredibly smooth. When the motor is on and I place my hand on either table, I can barely feel any vibration. In fact, it may have less vibration than my X5 table saw that passes the nickel test every time.

So far the fit and finish of the 4090 exceeds my expectation. The machined surfaces are near-mirror finishes and are smooth as glass once waxed. Overspray is at a minimum, although present in a few minor areas.

The real surprise is how well the mobile base works. It allows the unit to roll and swing with ease, and with a quick turn of the leveling knobs is rock-solid when stopped.

Allen Bookout
03-04-2006, 5:18 PM
That is the strangest thing about some of the motors having to be started several times before they behave normally. I have seen that reported before. Did not have that problem with mine.

First time that I have seen the coffin thing posted. My wife came out after I had uncrated it and said the same thing. She wanted to save it in case we needed it. I did not want to know what she had planned. So far I am still alive and kicking.

No idea about the line down the middle. You would think that it would be blades but it seems unlikely that all of the blades would be damaged in line unless the cutter head had been rotated with something hard contacting the blades. Can you feel anything by running your fingernail down the blades? Is there any kind of knick on the aluminum pieces next to the cutter head? Will be interesting to hear what you figure out.

Allen

Russ Massery
03-04-2006, 7:06 PM
You think that's smooth put a link belt on it. It made mine even smoother.:eek: