PDA

View Full Version : Help, I can't get a straight cut on my table saw.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-04-2003, 2:47 PM
I have a Delta contractor's saw and when I make a cut it comes out wavy. I can get a good 90 degree cut but the the end of the board is wavy when I hold a square up to it. So in some areas I can see light under the square and other areas show no light. I'm using the stock miter guage which is slightly loose. I've tried to tighten this but there is still a little play. I'm using a carbide blade but it's not an expensive one. When I do the blade to miter slot measurement it's right on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Alan in Md.

Lee Schierer
08-04-2003, 2:58 PM
Your miter gage face is too short to support the board you are cross cutting! If you don't have a piece of wood or other straight edge bolted or screwed on the face of the cross cut guide, you neeed one. This board should extend toward the blade and actully get cut off by the blade and go out the other side (away from the blade) a foot or more. Some people place strips of self adhesive sand paper on the face of this piece of wood so the work doesn't slide, but I personally don't find it necessary to do this.

Mcmaster Carr sells UHMW tape that works well on the side of hte 3/8" miter gage bars to remove the play in the slot. It lasts much longer than pin pricking the sides of the miter gage bar.

Then wax your miter gage bar and table top with Johnson paste wax. It will help the board slide across the table better.

Measuring the distance from the miter gage slots to the blade can only be done accuartly with a dial indicator. The closer you get this, the better blades will perform. Harbor freight sells cheap dial indicators that do an execellent job for aligning table saws.

Can you post a picture of your set up and the resulting cut? It would allow us to be more helpful.

Pete Lamberty
08-04-2003, 3:27 PM
Hi Alan, Many of us have had similiar results. It maybe worth your while to build a cross cut sled. Pete

Mac McAtee
08-04-2003, 3:50 PM
Hi Alan, Many of us have had similiar results. It maybe worth your while to build a cross cut sled. Pete

A cross cut sled is by far the best "jig" that I have ever built and use in my shop. I don't know how I got along without it for the many years that I struggled with that dang cross cut slide that comes with all tablesaws.

David LaRue
08-04-2003, 6:27 PM
A cross cut sled is by far the best "jig" that I have ever built and use in my shop. I don't know how I got along without it for the many years that I struggled with that dang cross cut slide that comes with all tablesaws.

Here is some links on cross cut sleds:

Sled Link 1 (http://home.comcast.net/~mywoodshop/html/cross_cut_sled.html)

Link 2 (http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/howto_crosscut.htm) Link 3 (http://www.in-lineindustries.com)

Good Luck

Dave :cool:

Alan Tolchinsky
08-04-2003, 8:57 PM
I actually have two sleds and didn't think of using them until you reminded me. So I got on my smaller one and used it. And no more wavy cuts. I guess these originall equipment miter bars are only meant to be boat anchors. Now if I only had a boat. Thanks Alan in Md.

p.s. Is it worth getting an Incra or similar miter jit?

Steven J Corpstein
08-04-2003, 10:59 PM
I actually have two sleds and didn't think of using them until you reminded me. So I got on my smaller one and used it. And no more wavy cuts. I guess these originall equipment miter bars are only meant to be boat anchors. Now if I only had a boat. Thanks Alan in Md.

I have an Incra 5000 and absolutely love it. Accurate, repeatable cuts.

David LaRue
08-05-2003, 4:26 PM

I have the Dubby (both right and left), my own shop built sleds, and the Incra. I think all are valuable, and I use them all. The only negative with the Incra that mine is set up for the left hand side slot, and every once in a while I'll need to use the right hand side for a bevel cut (left tilt PM). That's when I will either get out the old stock guage (set only at 90), or I'll have to move the back fence on the Incra. Note, that the sleds and the Dubby are not set up for bevel cuts.

Dave