PDA

View Full Version : broke my lathe

doug webb
03-04-2006, 2:20 PM
I needed to change speeds, but when I moved the lever, there was a change in noise but not speed. Belt slipping, was my first thought. When I removed the housing cover, sure enough the belt was loose. But my variable speed pulley was also broken. One side of the rear flange had a 2 inch piece broken out of it. How this happened I have no idea. But anyway, the belt had definitely streched. So I measured a piece of liink belt and replaced it, thinking that next time I was out I would pick up a replacement. While replacing the belt, I broke off another piece of the pulley. It is a cast metal, what I have always called 'pot metal'. It may be cast aluminum, I don't know. What I do know is that it is 'rotten'. I could snap the pieces easily between thumb and finger.
So I came inside to order a pulley and belt, and found that my keyboard no longer worked. Luckily my son had an extra.
I was going to visit my bil later today, but there is no way I am getting close to my truck today.
Some days...

Andy Hoyt
03-04-2006, 2:37 PM
..... but there is no way I am getting close to my truck today. Some days...

Smart move!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2006, 2:49 PM
Some days are like that! Sorry to hear about your troubles!

On a day like that Andy'd get his wife to spoon feed his IC to him!

John Hart
03-04-2006, 4:52 PM
Tough break Doug...sorry to hear it. At least it sounds repairable. Ice Cream is a good idea. It don't break!!

Bill Stevener
03-04-2006, 5:01 PM
Ice Cream is a good idea. It don't break!!

Right, if you eat it from the container it came in.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
03-04-2006, 5:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles Doug. That's a tough break.

Hey don't stand in one place too long... meteors are constantly bombarding our atmosphere. :eek:

Ernie

doug webb
03-04-2006, 5:36 PM
As a true blue woodworker, I eat my i/c off of a wooden stick. Parts are ordered from just a hundred miles away. Back in biz in no time. The sun is shining, the sky is blue.............Thanks for the kind words....

Keith Burns
03-04-2006, 5:39 PM
Sorry about your trouble Doug but you did the right thing by hanging it up and calling it a day. :) :)

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2006, 6:20 PM
Bummer Doug. Some days it just doesn't pay. Time to go do something else.

Dale Thompson
03-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Ice Cream is a good idea. It don't break!!

John,
It doesn't have BONES either - I THINK! :confused:

Dale T.

Mark Cothren
03-04-2006, 10:41 PM
That stinks, Doug. Sorry to hear about all this. Hang in there!