PDA

View Full Version : Paging Mr. Grumbine

Tom Crockett
03-04-2006, 2:12 PM
So, while trying to improve my time spent at the lathe the last year or so, there have been many additions. New sharpening station, new quality tools, more practice etc. So I thought last night while working a piece of side grain 5x5 black walnut, let's try out the tools as they are meant to be. Speaking specifically about the Sorby 3/8 spindle gouge, Sorby 1" skew, and Crown 1/2" bowl gouge.

Can't remember the last time I was that mad!!! Shoulda backed off and given up before I wasted so much of the block. Nothing but catches and grooves cut by the wood throwing my tools around. Had to take a scraper just to knock off all the tearing up I did.

So I have heard the term "presentation" several times as it refers to the tools to the wood. My question is, does your video address that issue with some of the tools I've mentioned? It just shouldn't be this tough to do.

I wrote this hoping to hear not just from you, but others who have prasied your video before. Where I'm sure it doesn't replace hands on show and tell with an expert, it's got to help.

TIA

Kurt Rosenzweig
03-04-2006, 2:50 PM
Get the Video! It will strighten you right out! I have to order another one since my lab got a hold mine and chewed it up. Out of over 300 videos in my collection he hadda pick that one! I refer to it all the time. Plus I just enjoy watching it!

Jim Becker
03-04-2006, 3:06 PM
Presentation likely refers, in context, to how you bring the tool up to the workpiece. Generally, you'll most often hear about bringing the tool to the wood at an angle that the bevel doesn't quite rub and then raising the handle slightly and slowly until the bevel does rub. A little more rise and you are then cutting. It's subtle and something you learn from practice.

Gary DeWitt
03-04-2006, 3:19 PM
The video will help immensely. You might also consider making a prototype of the piece you want in a lesser wood, like poplar. Make as many as needed 'til you're comfortable with the tools and procedures, then make one in walnut or whatever. This way, if you have problems with the tools, it's no great loss, just part of the learning curve.

Ernie Nyvall
03-04-2006, 5:44 PM
Speaking specifically about the Sorby 3/8 spindle gouge, Sorby 1" skew...

Bill's video is about turning bowls, and in that you won't use these two. It is a good video though for that and what you learn will help in other aspects of turning.

Oh... don't present a skew to a faceplate turning. There may be some who do that... not me.:eek:

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2006, 6:17 PM
I was in the same boat till I got Bill's video. Well worth every penny. Will set you straight and he does show you how and how not to present a tool to the wood for turning bowls.

Chip Sutherland
03-04-2006, 7:19 PM
Actually, I use my Sorby 3/8 spindle gouge for turning the beads on my platters. I'll confess that have twice laid my heavy duty 1 3/4" Lacer-style skew to face work. Made me nervous every time. If I had a square-nosed shaper....I would never put a skew to another platter face again.

My 1" Sorby is a waste of a good handle...hmm that gives me an idea !