PDA

View Full Version : Made some time

Gary Max
03-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Jim brought up the question about having time to turn.
Here are two bowls that I made the time for this week.
Both are from that Sycamore that fell down the road last year.
Heck I am going to get a bunch of blanks out of that tree.
The biggest is 12 inchs and the smallest is 10 inchs.
The big one has a interesting step or lip around the rim you can see it in the pics if you look for it.
The only finish at this time is BLO and minerl spirits.
Hope you enjoy

John Hart
03-04-2006, 1:00 PM
Nice lookin Bowls Gary! That wood is great and I like your idea on the stepped lip....especially since you followed it on the outside. Cool!

Michael Stafford
03-04-2006, 1:16 PM
I really like the one with the lip, Gary. Nice work!!!:D

Andy Hoyt
03-04-2006, 2:50 PM
Gary Max - Spinster Extraordinaire!

Karl Laustrup
03-04-2006, 2:52 PM
Nice looking wood Gary. And the best kind. Fell down and cut it up yourself. :D I also like that step.

Karl

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-04-2006, 3:28 PM
Great lookin' bowls.

Bruce

Glenn Hodges
03-04-2006, 4:36 PM
Outstanding, and they are mild...are they dry? I like sycamore, and I like these.

Ernie Nyvall
03-04-2006, 5:11 PM
I like the rim job Gar. Nice work.

Ernie

doug webb
03-04-2006, 5:40 PM
Love turning sycamore. You did great. Thanks

Keith Burns
03-04-2006, 5:41 PM
Great bowls Gary, I too like the rim treatment:) :)

Gary Max
03-04-2006, 6:11 PM
The story about getting this Sycamore is really kinda funny. My parents where in from out of state for a vist. We had went to town to had a bite of dinner, this is about a 20 mile drive oneway.While enjoying a nice meal the weather changed and a good rain storm blew in. It only lasted about a half an hour so we never even got wet. Upon returning to our home we ran into a road block. The tree had fallen across the road blocking it completely. The wife hiked up to the house and I went to the neighbors to tell them that thier tree had the road blocked.
We cut it up enough to open the road and the neighbor asked if I needed any fire wood. Parents went north in the morning and we went to work hauling the Sycamore up to our place. The reason the tree fell was because it had rotted out on one side that's the reason for all the color in the blanks.
Now you know more about my blanks than you ever wanted to. I bet that I have cut about 50 blanks. They are neatly cut in halfs and sealed in my shop. Just another mountain of bowls waiting on me. I try to keep about a 100 finished bowls in stock at all times.

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2006, 6:15 PM
Great looking bowls Gary. I like the one with the lip.

Jim Ketron
03-04-2006, 6:34 PM
I also Like the lip one, It has a great shape! Its good to try new shapes and This one is Nice!
Great Job!