PDA

View Full Version : Face Shields

Brian Dormer
03-04-2006, 12:37 PM
I've had about 3 or 4 of the $20 el-cheapo, all-plastic face shields they sell at "Lowes Depot" and not one of them has lasted more than about a year.

THIS TIME - I want to get something comfortable that will last.

I don't want a "hood resperator" type - just a face shield. I've seen some metal mesh ones - and a couple that have a polycarbonate (lexan) sheild. The metal mesh is tempting - because it won't fog up and metal beats plastic for stopping high speed UFO's. But are they just a gimmick?

Thoughts and recommendations?

TIA-

bd

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2006, 1:11 PM
Brian...........I'd want something with a clear continuos surface to keep sawdust from being thrown directly into my eyes.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-04-2006, 1:29 PM
The mesh ones are great for outside, using a chainsaw, as they don't fog up, but I find inside that the black mesh makes everything too dark.

I've been thinking of painting my black mess white...? :D

Cheers!

Brian Dormer
03-04-2006, 8:05 PM
Stu -

I hadn't thought about the "darkness" issue - good point. Garrett Wade has one that is mesh with a plastic window - reminds me of a welders helmet. Best of both worlds?

bd

Brian Dormer
03-04-2006, 8:09 PM
Ken -

Yep - keeping sawdust and chips off my face is the general idea. For just the eyes - I wear glasses anyway - but usually put on a pair of plastic "wraparound" glasses just to be safe. But there are times (cutting melamine on the TS, roughing blanks on the lathe) there there is so much crud flying (even with the DC running flat out) that I need a little more protection. All the plastic sheilds I've use so far have disapointed me. They fog up and they break far too easily.

bd

Jamie Buxton
03-04-2006, 8:48 PM
Yeah, those standard face shields are pieces of junk. I have a turner friend who is also a biker. He wears a full-face motorcycle helmet while turning. He says "ain't nothin gonna get to his face.":)

Don Wurscher
03-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I have used a wire-mesh face shield for years, and would not go with any other, but lighting is not a problem as I have 4ea 4-tube fluorescent fixtures over my TS and work area (he-he). All kidding aside, I have not been bothered by the black screen, just my 2-c's worth.

Barry O'Mahony
03-05-2006, 2:46 PM
Do't they sell replacement plastic visors for the shields, so you dno't have to buy a whole new one whne the visor needs replacing?

Ray Bersch
03-05-2006, 3:16 PM
Brian, I have used a Crews headgear face shield for many years without a complaint. They are only about 10-12 bucks and the replacement face shield is only about 3 bucks. So I assume we both use a similar product. The one I now have is about 5 years old and I bought a replacement face shield just in case - I have not taken the replacement out of the drawer. My older one went to my summer home in Maine - it is probably 15 years old and ok, it could use a new face shield. But at that price I would not care if I went through one each year - that's how much I love those things.

Perhaps our uses are different but I keep mine in good shape by hanging it from a hook - that puts it in easy reach and keeps it from getting scratched and dented, and, yes, it goes on and off dozens of times a day when I am in the shop. I just don't let it touch the floor or the workbench. My so called hook is nothing more than wire clothes hanger bent into shape and hung at a convenient height from the ceiling close to the middle of the shop - actually, there are two hooks - the other is for the Peltor hearing protectors. I always know where these things are, too. 'Course, I have a garage shop - if I had a large shop I'd buy two. Now, where did I put that block plane??

Ray

Brian Dormer
03-06-2006, 6:32 PM
Ray -

I always keep all my shop safety equipment and a first aid kit in a wall cabinet - organized and within easy reach of all the major work areas. I don't typically mistreat my tools - I buy good ones and take care of them. I still have the first tools I ever bought (a set of Craftsman Screwdrivers and Sockets).

The problem with the cheap shields is that the shields come loose from the visor. The visor hinge jams or breaks or the headband breaks. My father has had similar experiences - so I don't think it's just me.

I know these things are cheap and necessary (kinda like kleenex) but I'd prefer to spend a little more and get something that will last.

I don't know - maybe I just use my tools harder than you. Or I'm just unlucky. I'm glad you have a solution that works for you - I'm still looking.

bd

Brian Dormer
03-06-2006, 6:34 PM
Barry -

It's not the shield (I don't think I've ever even scratched a shield) - it's the dang headgear itself. The hinges jam or break or the headband breaks.

bd

Ray Bersch
03-06-2006, 8:13 PM
Brian, take a look at this web site to see if this is similar to your face shield http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/facshielhead.html

Notice that there are small twist hold downs that lock the face shield in place, not just a friction fit. The hinges (both of them) have a metal friction washer and a plastic screw that allows adjustment so that the shield easily moves up and down yet stays in the up position when you want it to. I am not suggesting that these are unbreakable, but I think you would be hard pressed to break this type during ordinary wood shop use. I have more problem keeping the dust off than anything else. Try them, I think you Will be satisfied.
Ray
PS - My first set of tools was also a Craftsman set of sockets and such - last month I bought a new box and returned the 1/4" drive ratchet for a new one - which they gave me without a question. These tools were a gift from a friend - in 1964!

Dale Thompson
03-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Brian,
all of the Moderators on this Forum are NOT 600 lb., three-toothed MONSTERS who are looking for ANY small reason to delete our intelligent posts. :( :eek: :) Brian, they just LOVE it when we try to steal an apple or kick a can! DELETE! DELETE! DELETE! ;) :)

Anyway, there is at least ONE good guy who sports the fearsome badge of "MODERATOR". :) He got me a TERRIFIC deal on the referenced "UVEX Bionic Shield". http://www.jacquescoulombe.com/uvex_bionic_shield.htm.

My biggest problem with the "cheepos", aside from mysterious breakage, was the fact that the headband was very difficult to adjust - so I didn't. The down side was that the shield, if comfortable while turning, inevitably fell off when I bent over to pick up a piece of sandpaper or whatever! :mad: The above shield has an "instantaneous" system by which the headband can be adjusted and is padded besides. :D :) :) It also has many other positive features!

Dale T.