PDA

View Full Version : Sharecropper's Update...LONG!..WOW!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2006, 11:25 AM
As you folks pushed me into this new addiction I feel obligated to occasionally update you on my progresses or regresses as the matter may be.

So far with the funds you provided and with some out of my shop fund I've got most of the things on the list Andy provided.

I bought a bed extension for the lathe. I bought a Wolverine basic jig, the diamond truing jig and the varigrind jig.

I bought a little hand tool for checking the angle of the grind, some Myland's friction polish and an assortment of sanding strips.

I've watched the videos sent to me and the Bill Grumbine video over and over. Bill is in re-runs now....I hope he doesn't get paid for the reruns too!:D

Each evening after a full day's work I still find reason to spend 30 minutes to several hours working in the shop usually spin related work. I'm spending a lot of time trying to plan my first major spinny/flat project in the form of a somewhat shaker style candle/spindle table. I haven't watched tv any evening this week for more than maybe 30 minutes total all week and that's a good thing. Prior to having my residence bombed, I was becoming an ambidextrous channel changer!

Now for the WOW!

After having the spindle gouge break last week, I decided to sharpen up the new Robert Larson spindle gouge that was so generously given to me. I had been using the Wolverine jig to sharpen the HF tools given to me and done reasonalbly well. My initial try on the Robert Larson spindle gouge to me seemed to put a pointed, pyramidal shape to it not fingernail shaped at 35 degrees. So....I set up the Wolverine jig; with a bucket of water close by, I ground the end of the RL spindle gouge square and started over. It was while I was grinding the end flat that the WOW happened! Folks, you think a catch on rotating wood is serious......a catch on the coarse grinding wheel is even more impressive. I should have probably used the standard plate and not the cupped jig for that procedure. The handle was captured in the cup of the jig; I hadn't repositioned the jig after grinding maybe 1/8" off the sharp point when the tool caught on the stone. That 3/4 hp motor threw the tool into the grinding wheel gouging out a couple of significant holes and then threw it out sideways! I was impressed with what it did but not with my choice of methods for doing what I was doing! An hour and 1/2 with the truing tool being very careful to go slowly and take take off a little at a time, I was able to remove the 1/8" deep gouge sized divots that appeared in the coarse grinding wheel. There are a lot of things to learn. Hopefully, I'll use a little more intellect and lean less heavily on learning by experience in the future!
I was then able to get a good grind and edge on the RL tool, BTW.

This morning I've got my eye on some 8"-10" diameter maple limbs that were cut on the ground 2 blocks away. They are limbs so they won't make great objects but will make great practice for this rookie! I've got to make a run to the dump. This afternoon, the Pritchard (sp?) art museum in Moscow for the turning display of some renowned turned art from private collections. I'm really looking forward to that.

Reading the book recommended by Carole, by Rowley, I'm planning a long wood and metal tool rest for my lathe to use when I start turning the spindle for my wife's and friends upcoming somewhat shaker style candle tables.

So there it is..........the sharecroppers report to the landowners!

BTW.........You'll never be able to appreciate how much having this new addiction has effected me. I now have a renewed vigor to get that shop finished and build a serious bench for the BOMB! Did you notice that my Jet is white....that Andy will do anything for white yes?:rolleyes:

John Hart
03-04-2006, 11:53 AM
You sound better equipped and better oriented than me Ken. I just kinda fumble through. I think your life-changing observations are about the same as mine. I am a much happier person since I started turning. It's not just addicting...It's therapeutic!!!! Way to Go!!!:)

Rich Stewart
03-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Keeps me out of the bars. Hahaha.

Andy Hoyt
03-04-2006, 2:48 PM
Port of Call - Lewiston, Idaho. It's not just a job, it's 28 catches per day!

Yow! I've done some very scary things but never one like that. Glad you're okay, and even more glad that you're having a good time during the learning curve.

White Iron? Yup. You have no idea how glad I am that PM doesn't make a mini.

Karl Laustrup
03-04-2006, 3:03 PM
Hey Ken, thanks for the update. Really glad you are OK after the incident. I know how that stuff can be when you're learning. I really believe in the books etc., but when you get right down to it, nothing beats hands on learning. :)

Glad you have a renewed interest also. If the spinny stuff does that, great. Just remember to do some flat stuff now and again. ;) :D

Karl

Jim Becker
03-04-2006, 3:09 PM
"Catching" a tool on the grinder is definitely a "new underwear needed" moment. Grinding is all about a light touch, too.

BTW, HHS does not need to be quenched in water. Only the softer carbon steel that cannot take the heat requires the bucket nearby. Just let the HHS cool down naturally...before you touch it! (DAMHIKT!)

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-04-2006, 3:17 PM
Hang in there Ken. Every day is a learning experience.

The trick is to build on what you have learned.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
03-04-2006, 6:09 PM
Wow... that scared me just reading it. Glad you're okay.

Now, before you turn the grinder on again, I'd take that wheel off and very lightly tap the edges on your work bench... Not hard enough to break, but hard enough to reveal a possible crack that could have happened during the catch. Grinding wheels do crack and they do come apart. This would be much worse than wood flying off the lathe.:eek:

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2006, 6:12 PM
Hang in there Ken. You will learn something new everytime you go to the shop and mess with the lathe or sharpening. Just continue learning.

Lee DeRaud
03-04-2006, 6:12 PM
If a rule is good enough for a gloat, it's good enough for a screw-up:
"There weren't any pictures, therefore it didn't happen." :cool:

Jim Ketron
03-04-2006, 6:46 PM
I'm trying to figure out how this happened?
Are you above center while grinding?

Glad you didn't get hurt! keep on spinning

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2006, 7:19 PM
Jim......I was above center when I started. I'd ground off about 1/8" of a sharp point when it caught the wheel and got slammed down. The end of the tool was in the cup of the Wolverine jig. It momentarily stopped the wheel and then it restarted, throwing the tool out to the right. I should have been using the regular rest and not the cupped jig to square off the tool for a fresh start at getting the right grind on it.

Dale Thompson
03-04-2006, 9:41 PM
Ken,
I've caught a bit of flak (no pun intended) on this Forum for my "hit and miss" use of safety devices. :( It has all been well deserved. :) On the other hand, I have NEVER taken a short cut on safety when using the grinder. :eek: I've seen the results of a wheel "exploding" and they are not pretty. I ALWAYS have the glasses on in addition to the face shield even if I am being stupid enough to be turning without the shield. :o In addition, I let the grinder get to full speed for about ten seconds before I even stand in front of it. :o

If I had a "catch" as serious as yours, I'm not sure that I would use that same wheel again. :confused: Unless I have been misinformed, I believe that a number of European countries require a special "Certification" before you can use a grinder in an industrial environment.

Ken, this is a TRUE story! When my daughter was in 7th grade, she took a "shop" class. One of their "exercises" was to sharpen a lawn mower blade on a grinder. When she bragged about her "Grade" on that exercise, I asked her if she would sharpen MY lawn mower blades. When she asked me why I wanted her to do it, I told her that the grinder was a VERY dangerous tool. It could blow up and, "You wouldn't want to see your dad blind - would you?" She simply said, "NO!" and proceeded to sharpen my blades. :cool: :eek:

Well - so much for being a GREAT parent and so much for the intelligence of a future engineer! ;) :)

Dale T.